the rookery I recently found.

1DMkIIN, 400mm w/1.4x tc, ISO 400, 1/400, f.8, 7:54 am
Darkened bg more as previously suggested
Thanks for looking in and continued c/c

http://i44.tinypic.com/23w2uq0.jpg

Randy Stout
05-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Dave:

Excellent exposure, control of your whites. The darker background helps make the bird pop and reduces the effect of clutter. Very sharp, intense gaze, love those big feet., nice breeding plumage.

Because of his pose, I like the crop.

From the truly minor side, I might eliminate the fine vertical twig at the left end of his perch, but that is just personal preference.

Very nice.

Randy

Scott Frye
05-16-2009, 11:56 PM
I see the beautiful whites and then that intense stare. I see the beautiful orange and the serious claws on the feet. Nice picture of contradictions.

Jay Gould
05-17-2009, 04:11 AM
Dave, that bird looks like it is ready to jump and fly - great capture.

I agree with Randy regarding removal of the vertical twig. That twig is like a wall and its elimation would open up the presentation.

Outstanding color and detail.

Tony Whitehead
05-17-2009, 05:09 AM
Great pose, colours and detail in the plumes.

Arthur Morris
05-17-2009, 06:04 AM
Ditto Randy but the stick that bothers me is the one that is stabbing him in the neck. Not to hard a job to lose that one.

Arthur Morris
05-17-2009, 06:06 AM
Started with a series of QMs followed by some Patch Tool and Clone Stamp work to remove the stabbin' stick.

Dave Phillips
05-17-2009, 06:54 AM
Thank you all for the input.
Randy and Jay, I debated that vert branch a good bit and made sure not to let it get to the
edge when I cropped. I removed it and then the left side of image seemed void of "something".
Not sure what, but will play with it some more.
Artie, thanks for the rework. "That" branch removal made a nice difference. The egrets
have this area totally broken up building nests

Arthur Morris
05-17-2009, 07:25 AM
I know that drill Dave; I have photographed at a few rookeries myself!

Stu Bowie
05-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Super pose, nice and sharp, exposure looks good. Great contrast in colours between the egret and BG.

Steve Canuel
05-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Nice soft details in the subject and I really like the lushness of the BG. Colors are nice and vibrant yet lifelike. Interesting how he keeps his balance on that skinny stick with those feet and that grip.

Dave Phillips
05-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Nice soft details in the subject and I really like the lushness of the BG. Colors are nice and vibrant yet lifelike. Interesting how he keeps his balance on that skinny stick with those feet and that grip.

thanks Steve, that non-grip always amazes me too