PDA

View Full Version : Immature Bare-throated Tiger-Heron flight pano

Dan Brown
05-16-2009, 07:24 PM
So, here we were, 13 of us in the bus, in the lowlands of western Costa Rica (Rancho Solimar). The Tiger-Heron was poised to take off at any second and I was ready! I had all of the appropriate bells and whistles on my camera set for BIF, as per Jim Neiger and Doug Brown!! My window was open and I was poised, target acquired........waiting, muscles twitching! I waited.....and waited. The other photographers started filing out of the bus and the heron was now twitching!!! ALL OF THE SUDDEN, ALL H3LL BROKE OUT ALONG THE SIDE OF THE BUS!!! THERE WAS SCREAMING, WAILING, SQEALLING, AND WIMPERING, NOT TO MENTION DANCING AND PRANCING!! Did someone fall into the Croc infested marsh? Did someone drop their Canon 600mm f4 with the 50D into the Croc infested marsh? Or worse, did someone drop their fabulous Nikon rig into the Croc infested marsh? Did someone push someone else into the above mentioned Croc infested marsh? (oh did I mention the Fer De Lance's and the Bushmaster snakes in there too?). Well, it was almost a disaster of huge proportion and impact upon our whole photo safari led by Greg Basco and Doug Brown. Our fearless leader, Doug had been attacked by an as-yet-to-be-identified creature from out of the depths of the murky waters and nearly dragged in, kicking and screaming (squealling:D), with all of his photo gear attached to him. The creature had somehow slipped into his pants pocket, done it's deed and then slithered out, attempting to take Doug from us:(. As you all know by now, Doug survived this ordeal and continued on to lead a GREAT TRIP for us (along with Greg, Thanks to both of you). The creature slithered away, never to be seen again. And with 13 photographers armed with about a million dollars worth of photo gear, do you think one photo was taken of this Costa Rican monster? NO!!

Oh, yea, the heron took off and I filled my buffer! I hand stitched the 5 frames above in CS3, as photomerge kept spitting out something that looked like a wallet:D:eek:;)

Doug Brown
05-17-2009, 11:31 AM
I can't believe you didn't see the creature! It was big and slimy, and the fangs were just huge!!!!!!!

denise ippolito
05-17-2009, 01:28 PM
How big was he?????!!!!!

Lance Warley
05-18-2009, 08:23 AM
That's a great story and I loved the way you told it, Dan.

Doug, at this point I'm thinking tadpole.