PDA

View Full Version : Friend of the Forest

Tom Pfeifer
01-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Hi All! The site looks and feels great!

Black capped Chickadee from the yard. After spending a day raking leaves back in November, I took a break and put the leaf pile to use as a backdrop for a few images.

Best to all in the year ahead and beyond!

Canon 1DmkII, 500mm f/4, 2x tc, 1/400 @ f/10, ISO 400.

Sid Garige
01-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Big welcome Tom. Great background and very nice head turn with eye contact. Not sure about the small stick on the top. Very nice image.

Arthur Morris
01-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Hey Bud, Great to see you here. How is your daughter doing with her photography? I love the image, esp. the light and the background. Might have pointed the lens down a bit to give the pine cone a bit more room. If your personal ethics permit doing so, you could lose the 2nd branch... Was the bird coming to a feeder?

Later and love, artie

ps: Mine do!
pps: Go Giants!

Fabs Forns
01-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Hi Tom,

Great first post, no doubt.
For some reason I find myself getting more tolerant of extra branches, it must be old age :)

Very lovely, and yes, a bit more room at bottom would be great.

Big welcome to BPN

George DeCamp
01-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Tommy!!

Welcome my friend! I would leave the branch, might look too stark without it there. Nice first post, see you around the block.

Linda Robbins
01-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Lovely light and beautiful background. If your ethics allow, I think that removing the second branch would greatly improve this nice image.

Tom Pfeifer
01-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the input gang.

I've been on the fence about the second branch. I think that if it joined the main limb within the context of the frame, it would seem like less of an intrusion, and become a more valid element of the image. More room beneath the pine cone..... indeed.
The bird was coming to a feeder in the yard.

Artie, Emily is doing well, thanks for asking. She's pretty enthused about the NHSSP in February.

Glenn Bartley
01-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Love the composition of this one and the BG is stellar! I would clone out the stubby branch.

Looking forward to seeing more :)

Happy new year!

Axel Hildebrandt
01-02-2008, 12:08 AM
I like the perch, composition and BG. Another vote for cloning out the branch. :)

Gyorgy Szimuly
01-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Beautiful colors and composition. Not sure about the size of the cone. Maybe too big for the bird. Are you using self made catchlight?:confused:
Szimi

Tom Pfeifer
01-02-2008, 08:40 AM
Catch light in the eye is from natural light on this.