PDA

View Full Version : Tern Flight

Dave Woeller
05-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Still practicing BIF. Anxious for any guidance. This shot has a minor crop to move the bird a bit closer to the right edge.
Canon 50D, 100-400mm @400mm handheld, AI servo, pattern metering, ISO 800, 1/640 sec @ F/9, 0 ev, 380 ex flash and betterbeamer at -1 comp.

Lance Peters
05-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Hi Dave - like the pose and HA and eye contact is good. Like the high key.
Looks a little noisy maybe.

BIF is practice, practice practice. Get yourself a good day with the wind just right, sun angle lined up and go for it. :)

Gus Cobos
05-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Hi Dave,
I like the high key image...and the flight angle...it does need a pass of noise reduction...:cool:

Alfred Forns
05-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Hi Dave

The things that jumps at me here is the exposure compensation Under these conditions you should have been about +2 or more !!!! Under really dull overcast skies I go +2 2/3 Difficult to say here but not close to even possible the -1 !!!! When you check the histogram all will be blinking except the bird !!!! Difficult to get used to !!!

Tech wise you could stop one if you can afford it but can go wide open I like you cranked up the ISO since its a white bg and noise will not show !!!

Wing position wise would like to see more of the far wing but overall very pleasing !!! Sharp and doing well !!!

Dave Woeller
05-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the guidance, and here is a pass of topaz denoise.
Alfred, I understand your point of the +2 exposure comp, and I've done that with darker birds like Osprey. I'll give it a try on some of these terns and gulls. By the way, the -1 comp was actually a -1 for the flash compensation. So much to learn :o

Dave Woeller
05-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Sorry, forgot to attach the repost.

Alfred Forns
05-16-2009, 11:43 PM
Dave the -1 is fine for the flash but do check the distance to the bird Once you go into high speed sync your output is short and might have to go to one to one.

The positive compensation does apply to white birds as well ... all depends on the light. Just check the histogram and see what the bird looks like!!!!

Dave Woeller
05-17-2009, 07:32 AM
Alfred, Thanks again for the guidance and I will put these tips to use on my next outing.

Harold Davis
05-17-2009, 11:05 AM
dave, the repost does look better. agree with lance on the light and wind suggestions. one more thing. when you are on the beach, look for the guys with the cast nets!! will be lots of flying birds and plenty of opportunity. good luck!! they are fun.

Jackie Schuknecht
05-17-2009, 04:13 PM
This is a beautiful bird Dave and I like what you are trying to do. Nicelt placed in the frame too. Hope you get more chances to photograph with your new technical arsenal.:)

Dave Woeller
05-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Thanks Harold and Jackie. I always appreciate the help that I get here as I often stray from the correct path:). It's always nice to have those extra critiques.