PDA

View Full Version : My Columbine 09'

Roman Kurywczak
05-16-2009, 04:46 PM
My columbine just popped a few days ago and Charles has inspired me with the black BG's and natural light approach. Since this mornings bird shoot was a bust.....I was jonesing for some photography but it was very windy.....what to do?....well since it's mine.....cut off a bloom and play around with 100 or so comps. I've got to admit....it's always easier working in the studio/dining room table at a nice height than laying on the ground and dealing with the wind.....Yeah Mike......sometimes I'm a big chicken! This was natural light.....bright overcast.....but I only have 1 reflector..so I improvised....I used the top of a pot(stainless) to bounce light on the back and the other collapsable silver reflector to fill the shadows a bit. Mark 3 and Sigma 180 macro, tripod mounted at f32 for 1 second at ISO 400. Black BG was black laptop cover (couldn't find the matboard)....about 12 inches away.

Julie Kenward
05-16-2009, 08:12 PM
Beautiful image, Roman. I love the understated beauty of it but I also wanted to see what it would look like with a small lighting effect on the center of the flower. I chose a default style omni light and this is what I got:

Jackie Schuknecht
05-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Roman I think this is a wonderful image, with a great shot angle and placement in the frame. Very creative studio set-up too.:) Looks really sharp on the stamens, but I was wondering if you would brighten it up a bit to bring out the whites more.

Charles Wesley
05-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Roman,

Your image is most excellent. I like the pop in Jules rendition also.
Thanks for sharing....

Bill Jobes
05-17-2009, 07:00 PM
It's a fantastic image of a complex beauty in both iterations!

I can see why Ike named his Air Force One "The Columbine."