PDA

View Full Version : Gatorland Rookery Update - May 2009

Mike Godwin
05-16-2009, 01:58 PM
http://gatorland.com/blogs/rookery/files/2009/05/62664-copy.jpg

Howdy Folks!

Lots going on at Gatorland these days, as this is the "magic time" where we have just about everything happening, from fledging birds and branch hoppers to nests still being constructed. Lots of Great Egrets, Snowy Egret, Cattle Egret, and Tricolored Herons are nesting very close to the boardwalk, with several "open" nests just a few feet away. You don't need a big lens to get great photos, but if you got it... I always say bring it as Gatorland offers a wide variety of locales for all focal lengths. The little Blue Herons and Anhingas are located along the East bank section and you will need at least a 300mm to reach out and get them.

Some disapointing news this year, no Wood Stork nests and alas... the Spoonies finally gave up nesting for this year as well. I have no answers why, after several years of succesful nesting, they decided not to, but I guess there is always next year! We did have our first Barred Owl nest this year, and many folks had a great time shooting our baby Barred Owl, who just seemed to love posing for photos. The owl has now fledged, and is roaming the South Swamp section, although I have not seen it in daylight for several weeks.

The Limpkin is still sitting on her nest, and I expect her to have chicks almost any day now. The Green Heron chicks have appeared in the Papyrus reeds at the South Lake section near the Early Entry Gate, but you do have to sit and wait for them... unlike the other birds found within the Rookery.

So long story short... lot's of great photo opportunities to be had, especially along the West section of the boardwalk. Extended hours for the Rookery are still in effect every Wednesday - Sunday through June 28. As a reminder, our "Dawn to Dusk" program allows for entry at 7:30am (please be prompt as the gates do not remain open) and the opportunity to stay until dusk (about 8:00pm). Early entry is through the Event Gate located in the far south parking lot (look for the cream colored tent top). For those wishing to take part in the Dusk access, we ask that you arrive no later than 30 minutes before normal closing time (currently 5:00pm but changes to 6:00pm May 23). Late entry is through the Main Entrance to Gatorland, and we do exit through the south end Early Entry Gate.

Mike Godwin
Gatorland

Mike Godwin
05-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Oh heck, I almost forgot... Congratulations to Mike Tracy and Sid Garige for their winning images (1st and 3rd place respectively) from the St. Augustine Photo Fest, both of which were taken at Gatorland this year. Great job guys, and Congratulations!

MIke Godwin
Gatorland

Mike Godwin
05-16-2009, 02:27 PM
And one more thing... thanks to Sid Garige for taking the time to teach me his silhouette techniques, the image above is for you. Thanks Sid!

Mike Godwin
Gatorland

AJ Kunkel
05-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Mike,

I'll be down again Wednesday and Thursday. I am looking forward to this next visit:)

Judd Patterson
05-19-2009, 12:42 AM
Hey Mike, thanks for sharing the update on the amazing activity this time of the year. It sounds like the place is hopping!! Sorry to hear about the lack of nesting Wood Storks...but at least I can report huge colonies of juvenile storks in Everglades/Big Cypress this season. I wish the drive up to Orlando wasn't so long...or I'd be there in a heartbeat. Take it easy!