PDA

View Full Version : Am. Robin, feared predator, gobbles worm.

Daniel Cadieux
05-16-2009, 12:06 PM
OK the title is a bit tongue-in-cheek as this is a graceful, beautiful, peaceful bird...but to an earthworm there is no threat larger than that of an American Robin. It is an efficient and merciless hunter as it "listens" for its prey slithering beneath to the surface. A familiar sight on lawns across most of N.A., this one was photographed on mine while I was also concentrating on Chipping Sparrows to the left just outside of the frame. Got lucky as I wanted of photo of it with a worm hanging down the bill (which I never got):)

Canon 40D + 100-400L @400mm, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/400s., f/6.3, ISO 640, +0.7 EC, natural light, handheld.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w98/dancad/tn_AmericanRobin_2877-01.jpg

Randy Stout
05-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Daniel:

Great timing here. The worm blur implies the sense of motion. You could have also titled this one, "down the hatch" :)

Your bird is sharp, well exposed. I might be tempted to tone down the grasses in the upper right a bit, so they don't pull your attention away from the bird.

Thanks for sharing.

Randy

Stu Bowie
05-17-2009, 04:40 AM
I like the DOF in this Daniel, and well timed to capture the open beak with his catch. Lovely feather on the Robin too.

Paul Lagasi
05-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Neat shot..wonder if he's an Italian Robin....looks like he's slurping that worm...sharp with good DOF