PDA

View Full Version : Crabapple Blossoms

John Lowin
05-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Crab apple blossoms are just starting to open in the back yard. Huge storms heading this way so the blossoms will probably be gone tomorrow. I took a few images today even though it was a bit breezy and gloomy overcast. I applied a little gaussian blur to soften some of the BG. Hope you like my image. C and C welcome, I'm here to learn.

f/11 1/200 ISO 800
Canon 1D MkII
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
handheld

Gordon Craig
05-16-2009, 09:40 AM
This picture was very nicely done. I like the way the blossoms seem to pop out of the background. It would have been nice if you could have opened the aperature up more but the wind most likely would have been a hinderance.

Julie Kenward
05-16-2009, 12:56 PM
John, overall I like the subject and composition. I would probably take a slice off the left side and the bottom so you were just outside the blurred branch on the left and just below the leaf on the right side frame on the bottom.

I'd also clone out the branch directly above the main focal point - that one I find distracting. You also have 3 small lighter spots at the bottom of the frame that could also benefit from a little cloning so they blend more with the BG.

I like where you went with this...it's a nice image - it just feels a tad bit underexposed to me. Did you consider using any fill flash to brighten the greens and help you freeze the subject?

John Lowin
05-16-2009, 02:19 PM
John, overall I like the subject and composition. I would probably take a slice off the left side and the bottom so you were just outside the blurred branch on the left and just below the leaf on the right side frame on the bottom.

I'd also clone out the branch directly above the main focal point - that one I find distracting. You also have 3 small lighter spots at the bottom of the frame that could also benefit from a little cloning so they blend more with the BG.

I like where you went with this...it's a nice image - it just feels a tad bit underexposed to me. Did you consider using any fill flash to brighten the greens and help you freeze the subject?

Hi Julie.

Thank you for your comments. I re-cropped the image per your suggestions, cloned out the branch above the primary subject and darkened the three light spots you found distracting. Regarding underexposure, I actually darkened several of the leaves in the original post because they drew my eye away from the main focus. If you are expecting these blossoms to be the typical pale pink apple blossoms, they are not. They are a deep saturated magenta, and if anything they should probably have a slightly more bluish color cast. Please let me know if you like my repost better. Thanks again. - John

Julie Kenward
05-16-2009, 03:13 PM
I really think that makes a big difference! Sometimes it's just little things that can take our images from good to great and that seemed to do it.

And, yes, I understand about the buds being dark...my old crabapple was the same way. I felt the middle area below the buds looked dark but now I understand that you probably intentionally did that to keep them from being distracting. Well done.

John Lowin
05-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Thanks a lot for the guidance, it's always appreciated. It is always a challenge for me to judge my own images. Thanks again. - John

denise ippolito
05-17-2009, 02:14 PM
John, This is a beautiful image made even nicer with the re-post. Well done!

John Lowin
05-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Thank you one and all, for your greatly appreciated comments. This site is truly a wonderful learning experience! - John