PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Lily With Freckles.... Natural Light

Charles Wesley
05-15-2009, 03:30 PM
Using natural light, I was able to capture this portrait of a lily. Canon 5D, Sigma 180 mm f/3.5 HSM APO DX macro lens and tripod. My exposure was 1/5 sec. @ f/ 16.0 at ISO 400. Sorry for the speckling from the stamens. I think it actually adds something to the portrait and definitely tests a lens. Too bad its so centered IMO.

Enjoy...

Alfred Forns
05-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Do like the dark bg very much Charlie Flower stands out well and a great complement for the yellow !!!

About all I would suggest is orienting the flower a little different so the pistils would be all bg or flower !!! Big Congrats !!!

Julie Kenward
05-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Charles this is another lovely floral! I do want to ask more about your set up...how did you get the black background with the use of natural light? Black backdrop? Indoors or out? I'd really like to know because the lighting on this is gorgeous.

I like the freckles but, being a redhead, I might not be the most objective observer... ;):D;)

Ed Cordes
05-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Outstanding lighting. The black BG is great. The speckles don't bother me at all. I agree with Alfred, the pistiles/stamens should be all BG or all flower.

Gordon Craig
05-16-2009, 09:15 AM
The black background does add a lot to this yellow flower. I probably would have tried to clone out some of the speckling from the Stamen.

Roman Kurywczak
05-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Hey Charles,
I think twisting the flower around......if it was done indoors as I suspect.....would have helped with the pistels. I still find it a very powerful image and will confess that you inspired me with the black BG's on this and your other posts. Very nicely done.

Charles Wesley
05-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks all for the kind comments. I don't want everyone to start shooting always with black BG's. Roman it works on some of my images but not all of them.

It forces one to just see the flower IMO.