PDA

View Full Version : Dewey Edges

Mike Moats
05-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Found these leaves that had the morning dew only at the edge of the leaf. Not sure why this happens but it looks pretty cool. I placed the leaf on this downed birch trunk for contrast.

Fuji S5, Tamron 90, f/45, tripod, natural light.

Dave Mills
05-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Mike, The drops are very cool. Never really noticed a pattern of dew like that. Using the birch as a backround adds a nice touch!

Randy Stout
05-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Mike:

Very nice. I will have to watch for that. I like the composition and birch bark. My only thought would be to tone down the brightness of the bark at the top. Not as much as that to the lower right, but just enough so it doesn't compete with the leaf quite so much.

Cheers

Randy

Randy Stout
05-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Mike:

Here is a quick take on what I meant. It is pretty subtle, and perhaps not the effect you intended, but my eye kept getting drawn away from the cool leaf, to the bright bark in the original.

Just my .02

Randy

Randy Stout
05-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Mike:
Version II. I realized when reviewing your image, that I had darkened the leaf itself a bit on my repost, so went back and tweaked the leaf brightness.

Randy

Charles Wesley
05-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Mike,

Like the graphics of the image and the way you held sharpness with each dew drop. That's hard to do in my book.

Thanks for sharing....

Mike Moats
05-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Hey Randy, the second version came out very nice. I will go back and rework this. Thanks.

Hey Charles, it's really easy to get the sharpness through out, just go to your highest f/stop. You'll get some diffraction but sharpening and contrast will take care of it. Thanks

Alfred Forns
05-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Cool effect with the drops Mike !!! I think one of the keys for these images is dof and this has it and don't see much in the diffraction dept !!!

Julie Kenward
05-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Mike I have to ask...when you are using f45 in natural light where does your ISO usually end up at?

I agree with Randy about the brightness in the upper middle of the frame. You've got just a touch of blown highlights according to camera raw. If you can't pull them back you might just clone a section over it to reduce that harsh light in that one area.

I really like the deep green against the white bark...it really pops that leaf!

Mike Moats
05-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Hey Jules, this was shot this morning and the ISO was at 100 and the exposure was about five seconds. I'm use to these long exposure I have many that run up in the 20 to 30 second range. Most of what I shoot is on the ground and not moving, and I shoot early mornings when there is no wind, or at least very low wind.

Declan Troy
05-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Mike, this looks like an example of guttation. When absorption of water by the roots exceeds transpiration from the leaves plants get rid of excess water through specialized stomata ends of the main veins of the leaf. Dew generally forms as a thin film or droplets that cover a surface. Guttation water is confined to the tips and margins of leaves.

Randy Stout
05-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Decian

Thanks for the information. I love to learn new bits and pieces!

Randy

Roman Kurywczak
05-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Hey Mike,
Very neat and I love the contrasts. I like the 2nd repost by Randy too.....but it may have been the compression also. Hmmmm....f45 you say.

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Hummm...
Very interesting Mike.
Lovely details in this one.

Mike Moats
05-19-2009, 05:43 PM
Hey Declan, thanks for the info that's very interesting and I thought it must have been something going on with in the plant but wasn't aware of what.