PDA

View Full Version : Wide Angle Snowy

Adams Serra
05-14-2009, 05:41 PM
I wanted to do something different last Friday at Estero Lagoon, so i took my 14mm 2.8 out of the bag for a little walk on the beach.

MK III
F 8.0
1/2500
Iso 400
14mm
Manual Exposure

All comments are appreciated

Ramon M. Casares
05-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Love the result, it IS different and yet very effective, great low angle, lovely exposure, detail, colors and comp, I only would've prefered a little better head angle, still, great to MY eyes! Big congratulations!

Randy Stout
05-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Adams:

It is fun, OOTB thinking. The rear foot up with the color gives it some punch!

I think the composition is fun. Wish the head was angled a bit more our way, and the horizon line was a bit lower on the bird, lower shooting angle, but by then you would probably be wet!

I might consider cloning out the shadow.

Overall, a really fun image.

Thanks for thinking OOTB!

Randy

Doug Brown
05-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Always nice to see something different on the forum. I like this one a lot! The raised foot conveys a nice sense of motion. I feel differently than the others about the head angle. The bird is looking and running into the wide open place that you captured so nicely with your wide angle lens. About the only suggestion I have is that I'd tone down some of the whites on the bird's back.

Axel Hildebrandt
05-14-2009, 06:08 PM
I like the idea, details and exposure control. A lower angle and the bird walking toward you would have made it even better.

Adams Serra
05-14-2009, 06:22 PM
I will try for a better angle with the bird the next time, but I can not get any lower than this, the camera is about 2'' above the water.

Mike Tracy
05-14-2009, 06:45 PM
I am with Doug on this image. I think it works incredibly well. The tourism board might be interested in using this for a print add extolling the wonders and fun that await in Fl.

The only change I would like is to be able to see a glimmer of his right foot through the water.

Jory Griesman
05-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Favourable comments, above, but they might even underestimate this amazing image.

It's so unusual to see a "big bird" (I'm no John Chardine) alone in a wide open beach setting like this. I personally like the juxtaposition of brown/blue (beach/ocean or desert/sky, etc), and the intervening aqua water even improves upon this. Exposure, colour, etc. all good. As per comment above, seeing the front foot might be nice, and may be improvable via PS.

Desmond Chan
05-14-2009, 07:08 PM
I think it's beautiful !

Is that your shadow on the water behind the bird?

Maxis Gamez
05-14-2009, 07:44 PM
I will try for a better angle with the bird the next time, but I can not get any lower than this, the camera is about 2'' above the water.

This is AWESOME Adams!! What do you mean you can't get any lower?? Get a water tight case!! :D:D

Excellent low angle and perspective! I like it a lot!

Alfred Forns
05-14-2009, 07:51 PM
Hi Adams Fresh look and love it Great saturated colors and feel over the top !!! Big Time Congrats !!!!

Dave Phillips
05-14-2009, 07:58 PM
love it Adams....great low angle.
Not possible to raise lower that horizon with such a wide andgle.....look great.

I think Doug's monitor must be running hot, I see nothing hot one the back.
(but that's here on my monitor)....histogram has plenty of high headroom.

well exposed

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Yes, this is something special!

Lovely image and very original, I'm glad you posted it.
I agree about cloning the shadow since it competes with the yellow foot.

Great work.

Tony Whitehead
05-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Superb, Adams - that's one relaxed bird to get that close and seem oblivious to your laying in the water so near. I love the lines of the waves and how it highlights the wideangle perspective. Excellent effort and great result.

Daniel Cadieux
05-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Way to go Adams!! You recognized a willing subject and decided to experiment with it, and good thinking too. I'm in the "wishing for a better head angle" crowd, but with the light direction angled the way it is that would have cast a shadow on the face. I love the whole right side of the frame...the close wavelets and far waves. Very cool!! :-)

Dick Glover
05-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Adams,
This is a wonderful image and I do not think you need to be any lower or change the head angle, it is terrific as it is. Thank you for stimulating my thinking by doing something so different and original.
Dick

Octavio Campos Salles
05-14-2009, 11:13 PM
This is great Adams, very different! Amazing how it let you get so close!

Parabens.

arash_hazeghi
05-15-2009, 01:02 AM
Awesome shot, Snowy looks almost like a giant! I will definitely take my 14mm out next time!

Greg Basco
05-15-2009, 08:04 AM
Fantastic, Adams. Big congrats.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Arthur Morris
05-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Wonderful creativity. Love the effect but would have liked a better HA. If you could have gotten even lower that would have gotten the horizon down a bit. About 1/4 of the way up would have been perfect.

Any clue as to how close you were? Is that lens not a fish eye lens?

Jasper Doest
05-15-2009, 11:47 AM
This would have been awesome with the horizon lower in frame...a lower angle would have helped you achieving that. i'm amazed how close you were....if these birds allow you getting this close I'd certainly continue with this little project.

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Very beautiful and creative work Adams. Like it a lot. !!!!!! Great eye to see this and wonderful to see you again at The Farm.

Adams Serra
05-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Thank you all for the nice comments.I was able to get really close to them, the tide was going out so i just got down low and waited for them to get close. I had my arm stretched out and holding the camera with one hand. I got within less than 16'' away from the bird.

Adams

Richard Peters
05-15-2009, 03:31 PM
Now this is superb!! I really like the view the wide angle has given and I can't believe you managed to get so close to fill the frame!! :)

It works really well and gives a look to the image that you don't see everyday.

Stu Bowie
05-16-2009, 12:59 AM
Very different, and this works so well. I like the low angle, this is sharp, and love the hint of yellow from the slightly raised foot. Well thoughtout.

Mark Dumbleton
05-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Everything been said, just adding my well done to a very different but super image.

Judd Patterson
05-16-2009, 11:16 PM
The angle here is absolutely awesome!! Excellent vision and thank you to the Snowy Egret for being so incredibly cooperative. I love it.