PDA

View Full Version : Best Time For Migration On East Coast?

Ed Cordes
05-14-2009, 08:28 AM
My wife and I are thinking about a driving vacation on the East Coast to various wildlife refuges probably Delaware, Virginia and maybe others. I know Fall and Winter is the migration. However I wondered what was the most likely best time? I also would like input on locations. Our ultimate goals is to visit some friends in NC with photography along the way.

Thanks,
Ed

Arthur Morris
05-17-2009, 07:35 AM
What are you looking for? Are you referring to songbird migration???

Ed Cordes
05-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Good morning Artie,

In reading the websites of the wildlife refuges they refer to being part of the "major flyway" for various waterfowl. I guess I was thinking of egrets, herons, shore birds, etc. Since we are planning to drive through the area and since at this time our timing is flexible in September and October, I would hate to find out we chose the wrong time for high density by 2-3 weeks. If, for instance, someone indicated that early to middle Oct is much better that just after Labor Day, I would arrange our plans accordingly.

Thanks for your help.

Arthur Morris
05-17-2009, 08:35 AM
Thanks, Ed. And I thought that you were looking for migrant songbirds like I have been recently without any great luck. The peak of juvenile shorebird migration is during the last two weeks of August with high tides at the East Pond at Jamaica Bay offering the best photo opps. For songbirds, the after October 1st advice is good advice (even though some species are moving south in mid-July!) But songbirds are always difficult sbjects. Herons and egrets have protracted migrations--better to come to FLA winter through early spring for them....

Ed Cordes
05-17-2009, 08:42 AM
Thanks again Artie, I greatly appreciate the advice. Jamaica Bay is a relatively short drive - 4-5 hours from my home. I will see if I can arrange a weekend there. Maybe we could meet up with some BPNers for a shoot and social?

Arthur Morris
05-17-2009, 08:49 AM
YAW. I may get up there this August during the preferred times.... I love those baby shorebirds.

LouBuonomo
05-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Ed let us now.. The NWPLI gang spend as fair bit of time in the poop over there.

Ed Cordes
05-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Ed let us now.. The NWPLI gang spend as fair bit of time in the poop over there.

If we can set something up for September - October time frame it would be great. Those of you who know more about it than me should pick the time. My wife Gail and I will be there. If we can help recruit other members or help set up some social arrangements we are game for that.

Ed