PDA

View Full Version : Anna's Hummingbird (Juvenile) in the garden

Gus Hallgren
01-31-2008, 10:31 PM
Hi, Another beautiful sunny day in the mountains of Southern Arizona. With warmer weather more birds are arriving, today we had a Cactus Wren, Lesser Goldfinch and a Costa's Hummingbird for the first time this year, all in our yard. Photographed the young Humming bird at 8:43 AM with, Olympus E-500 IS-1:4-5.6 ED Zuiko 70-300mm(140-600mm erquiv), Aperture Priority, F:6.3, 1/1600. ISO 400, 0.00EV, Auto WB, Fill Flash TTL EV 0.07 Hand Held sitting down. Forgot to mention a American Kestrel swooped down try for a Dove, but went away mad . . . Gus

Richard Kowalski
01-31-2008, 11:31 PM
Nice capture Gus. Good wing position and just a touch of blur to show the motion. The eye seems a tad soft, maybe some selective sharpening.

Richard

Mike Boyce
02-01-2008, 02:08 AM
Wow Gus, I wish I could find something I could suggest you could improve here, but honestly, I can't find fault with this photo. On my monitor, the eye even looks tack sharp. Great job!

Mike

Nico van Leeuwen
02-01-2008, 04:42 AM
Hi Gus. Beautiful image. I find this Hummingbird better than your last one, because of the position of the wing. This way the body and the head are not covered and the very beautiful colors can be seen. The wings show the action of flying very subtle. I've no suggestions for improvement, it's a great picture!

Nico

Peter Hawrylyshyn
02-01-2008, 07:34 AM
gus-
very nicely done , much preferred to yesterday's post
you avoided side lighting issues, better angle to show colors on back (as opposed to white underbelly) and got the preferred forward wing position
one other very minor nit - you could fix/remove the 2nd catch light from flash in the eye
envious they are already in your back yard - just more snow today up here
thanks for posting

Gus Hallgren
02-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Good Morning Gentleme, Thank you very much for your gentle critques and keen observations. I took your suggestion about the head and removed the second catch light in the eye and like the correction. Nico, I visited Holland, April 29, 30th. and May 5th. 1945 dropping food from our Lancasters. The best experience we ever experienced. . . Gus

Nico van Leeuwen
02-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Hi Gus, I was born a few years later, but for my parents and grandparents your best experience you ever experienced, was their best experience they experienced as well :).
On behalf of them I would like to thank you for the results of your experience!
So you were always occupied by flying :).

Kind regards, Nico

Alfred Forns
02-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Hi Gus I like it a lot and love seeing the hummers in this natural setting Only a lower angle could improve the image !!! Big Congrats !!!!

Nonda Surratt
02-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Gus I envy you your sunny weather:)

Really like the wing position and the 2nd catch light removed. Really well done image, like it quite a lot!

Axel Hildebrandt
02-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Great pose and eye contact. As Al mentioned, a lower angle would have been nice and the BG looks a bit weird. Are the dark spots cloning marks or what was in the BG?