PDA

View Full Version : Trillium erectum -- in red as usual

Bruce Murden
05-13-2009, 11:08 PM
In a thread in the OOB B&W area (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36251), I showed a white Trillium erectum in B&W. Here is the more typical red version of T. erectum.

Nikon D80, Nikkor 105mm macro, ISO 400, f/25, 1/100 sec, Nikon SB-600 as fill flash, 1/32 power, through a small diffuser screen.

Randy Stout
05-14-2009, 05:27 AM
Bruce:

Lovely colors here, nice use of DOF.

I wish there was a bit more light on the far left side so you could see a bit more of the red petal as it fades into the darkness. I like the play of light over the top red petal, and think that the same effect to the left would be nice. I suspect that would require multiple flashes, or perhaps some form of reflector.

The other thought is that I might consider dimming the background leaves just a bit, so they don't compete with the foreground quite so much. Its very close, but just a bit more brightness separation might really help the flower pop.

I don't have much experience in the macro world, but just my observations for you :)

Thanks for sharing.

Randy

Julie Kenward
05-14-2009, 07:23 AM
Bruce, I agree with Randy...bringing up the shadows on the left side leaf just a bit more and maybe a tad more right at the central point of the flower would really give this even more drama. Right now it feels a tiny bit underexposed but yet you can tell it's not...it's just that the mind wants to see a little bit more of the action!

Dave Mills
05-14-2009, 09:28 AM
Before I read the comments I was analyzing the image myself. Randy covered the comments I was going to make very well. As was stated about more light on the left and a less competing backround. I would also add a bit more room on the bottom. Your subject matter is great and existing lighting is pleasing.

Jackie Schuknecht
05-15-2009, 09:03 AM
I think you did well to get a shot so low to the ground. I find them difficult to photograph. Colours look spot on.