PDA

View Full Version : Bald Eagle

John Wilkerson
01-31-2008, 10:22 PM
I hope I'm posting this in the right place. Today I saw something that took me by surprise. I was scouting out some areas to do some photographs. I was driving down a dirt road in an unpopulated area where I live. Its actually a buffer zone for the Stennis test facility. Well on a small strip of land reaching out into a small lake was a Bald Eagle. By the time I stopped my truck, got out with my camera he was flying. I took a very poor photo, so people would believe me. Ok, here is my question.
What are the chances of this eagle returning to that area and how can I photograph it. I'm thinking since he obviously has very good eyesight I would have to work from a blind. Keep in mind that I am new to bird photography and all information is welcome. I would love to capture an image of this beautiful eagle. Strange enough when I called a friend of mine to ask about who owned the lakes he told that he had been calling me to tell me of several eagle sightings in town. Things are still a mess from Katrina and the trees, those left, are mostly dead.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-31-2008, 10:27 PM
If you can get close enough, maybe you should stay in the car to photograph the eagle. Turn off the heating well in advance to avoid heat flares and open the window before getting there. If that is not an option approach him slowly, not directly and avoid eye contact, basically act like someone completely uninterested. If you arrive before the eagle you could use a throw-over blind and see if that makes a difference. Good luck!