PDA

View Full Version : Akaka Falls - Hawaii

Mark Fuge
05-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Canon EOS 5D - EF35-350/3.5-5.6L USM @ 35.0 mm – ISO 200 - 1/800Sec. @ f/3.5 - Metering Modes Spot – Compensation 0

This is one of the many beautiful waterfalls in the islands. It is located on the east coast of the Big Island, north of HVNP. It was a wet and cool day out there, but well worth the short walk from the parking lot to see it.

Aperature not as desired, but handholding and didn't want to go to slower shutter speed.

Gus Cobos
05-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Hi Mark,
This is simply beautiful...I would like to see this at a higher resolution, so that we can appreciate the fine details...:cool:

Alfred Forns
05-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Elegant image Mark and love the light !!!

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Beautiful waterfall and picture Mark.

You inspired me to upload a picture of one nice waterfall we have here in Costa Rica.

I also agree about uploading a larger version of your image.

denise ippolito
05-14-2009, 07:34 AM
Nicely framed Mark! Thanks for sharing.

Rich Ikerd
05-14-2009, 07:49 AM
Not easy to get a real crisp composition since the walkway is so limited there - but you did great here.

Mark Fuge
05-14-2009, 08:21 AM
Hi Mark,
This is simply beautiful...I would like to see this at a higher resolution, so that we can appreciate the fine details...:cool:

Sorry Gus and Juan,

I tried to redo it, but given the mist from the falls and the rain, plus the minimimum DOF that I will admit I blew! :o This is the best of the rest. The main problem is DOF on this. The front is sharp, for conditions, but the mist and the f/3.5 aperature, killed it. Wish I would have had more experience with the camera for this trip. Next time!:)

As noted by Rick, this is a very tight camera position. I didn't have the tripod and don't know if I could set it up here, as there were others trying for the same shot. But had the lighting been a little better, or I worked with the shutter speed to get a wider opening, it might have worked. You learn from your mistakes and hopefully those of others. That is why were are here, to share both wins and losses. This was not a winning season, but enjoyable for what it was.

Thanks for the gracious comments everyone. I just like the shot and what I saw. Therefore, sharing was not a problem for me.

Ian McHenry
05-14-2009, 04:52 PM
Hi Mark
Really like the choice of lens with foreground, beautiful waterfall and top of falls area.
I didn't manage to get beauty of all the watefall when we were there 10 years ago.
A beautiful souvenir image which would make a fine poster.
Cheers: Ian Mc