PDA

View Full Version : Polar bears and caribou

Charles Glatzer
01-31-2008, 09:37 PM
This image is copyrighted material as indicated, and is watermarked! Unauthorized use or reproduction for any reason is prohibited

Churchill '07

We were very fortunate to photograph for the first time a wild caribou being eaten by polar bears. It was an encounter I will never forget and a definite highlight in my wildlife photo career.

Mark III, 600IS
Manual, spot plus 2 EV off snow,1/800 @ f/5.6, ISO 800
Post-production- C1, CS3

See you where there is light, or at the computer

Chas

Fabs Forns
01-31-2008, 09:49 PM
WOW, I couldn't wait to see your images, since you told us in Bosque!!!!!
Impressive.

Ivan posted one a couple of weeks ago. How lucky to witness something like that :)

Axel Hildebrandt
01-31-2008, 09:50 PM
Before seeing these images I thought polar bears eat seals more or less exclusively.

Jasper Doest
02-01-2008, 02:16 AM
Hi Chas, how nice to see you here!

Very interesting behavior as mentioned.....! It is known that polar bears eat the seal blubber and are not all that interested in red (low fat) meat. However, the turn in to scavengers when times get hard. I suppose this could well be another sign of the environmental changes that we're going through at the moment. Since it takes longer for the Hudson Bay to freeze...they'll have to wait before they can hit the ice and hunt for seals. It could well be that they are so hungry that they started looking for other food sources.

Technically this is very good....exposure and sharpness, as well as the composition with the second polarbear slightly OOF work all very well. A very different image than we usually see from Churchill.

soleynicola
02-01-2008, 12:41 PM
With " Fabs" here marvellous to witness such a scene.. and superb photography..!!!
But also nice to view the realistic side of survival in the wild and food chain... ! " Wonder whats for Pudding.

N :)

Alfred Forns
02-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Amazing capture Must have been a sensory overload type image !!!! They seem to be enjoying the alternate meal !!!! Big Congrats Chas !!!!

D. Robert Franz
02-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Outstanding natural history image!!!!

Howard Burkert
02-12-2008, 09:23 AM
What a incredable image, a real photographic essay.
Best,
Howard