PDA

View Full Version : Seascape workshop 1

Jeni Williams
05-12-2009, 10:40 PM
I've just done a basic seascape workshop. Q's I have for this image is

Is the comp ok?
I used David Thomasson's method for sunflare - have I corrected it sufficiently? (haven't got ND filters)
Lightened midtones - too much?
Added contrast to clouds - sufficient?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Jackie Schuknecht
05-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Jeni, this is a very pretty scene with a lovely quality to the light. I think it has a nice flow and a nice range of darks to lights. I also like how the one wave on the shore is catching the light as it breaks. Think it would make a wonderful print:)

Kaushik Balakumar
05-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Liked the moody sun-set/rise colours. Am curious to know about the sunflare correction you've mentioned. Any info ?

Jeni Williams
05-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Hi Kaushik, thanks for comment. I posted an image yesterday on Eager to Learn and Dave Thomasson helped with a PDF for correction of sunflare - see following link http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36175.

It works well - just needs a bit of practice.

Steve Patterson
05-13-2009, 11:19 AM
I love the color and lighting here. It looks lush. I do feel the compositon could use more of a focal point/subject to focus the eye on, but that doesn't mean it isn't beautiful.

Robert Amoruso
05-15-2009, 06:12 AM
Jeni,

I find I prefer using a slow shutter speed to blur the water and I think that would work well here. I would also suggest moving along the shore to maximize the FG possibilities as best as possible. I don't feel the FG gels well here.

Seashores are tough so keep up the good work and you will produce many fine images.

Roman Kurywczak
05-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Hi Jeni,
I do agree the color is nice but I also agree with Robert on the FG.....not enough strength there/focal point to carry it. A nice comp of rocks would suffice and I also like his recommendation for a slower SS. That also reminds me.....if you post the specs like SS and f stop as well as ISO.....this will help when giving advice also on possible suggestions for the future. Lens and camera used will also help....but not nearly as important.

Jeni Williams
05-16-2009, 02:04 AM
Thanks Steve, Robert and Roman sorry about the specs.
I 'll try different comps in future but will also work on a different crop with this one and a bit more PP work.
Boy, am I having fun learning and experimenting!!:D