PDA

View Full Version : The "Eyes Have It"!

Dave Walz
05-12-2009, 06:08 PM
First of a huge thank you to the members who gave me advice on the "Burrowing Owls" in Cape Coral. We had a great weekend. Ding Darling was fairly active in the morning and Cape Coral was great in the evenings. This is my first post ans comments or suggestion are appreciated.:)

Daniel Cadieux
05-12-2009, 06:32 PM
These guys are such intriguing little creatures! I had the pleasure to photograph a couple of active sites in Cape Coral last winter - a real blast!! Glad you had a good time :-)

I like that you wanted to showcase their strongest feature, the eyes. I assume this is cropped therefore I would recommend adding back a little canvas below - enough to include the complete thickness of the white "necklace" beneath the bill, and then adding the equivalent above to balance it out. WB seems a little off. There are a number of ways to correct this (WB slider in RAW being the easiest and fastest) but here I used "Color balance" in PS and reduced the cyan, green, and blue channels to taste and then applied the sponge tool (set to saturate at 8% opacity) on the eyes.

Keep them coming, and welcome to the "Avian" forum!

Tony Whitehead
05-13-2009, 04:49 AM
Nice portrait. I think Dan's suggestions are good. Maybe a touch more sharpening is an option to optimise this image for web presentation.

Stu Bowie
05-13-2009, 05:27 AM
Super portrait, and both Daniel and Tony have covered the most important nits. Looking forward to more.