PDA

View Full Version : Western Grebes "rushing"

Mike Lentz
05-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Last weekend I headed north to one of my favorite lakes in pursuit of the spring mating "rushing" displays of the Western Grebes. It was quite an experience and I look forward to sharing a variety of images from this series.

This one was taken under cloudy conditions.

http://www.pbase.com/mike_lentz/image/112418234.jpg

Nikon D300 ~ Nikkor 300mm F/2.8 with 1.4x Nikon TC
ISO 800 ~ F/7.1 ~ 1/4000 sec ~

Tony Whitehead
05-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Fascinating behaviour, Mike. Flying water and poses well captured. Cloud cover probably best for the contrast plumage. Looks a little soft - was this a significant crop? Looking forward to more from this series.

Randy Stout
05-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Mike:

Great behavior shot. I have not seen this one before.

I really like the neck,wing position, splashing water, soft light. Red eyes!

I do agree with Tony about it being slightly soft, but still very interesting capture.

Bring them on!

Randy

Mike Lentz
05-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Fascinating behaviour, Mike. Flying water and poses well captured. Cloud cover probably best for the contrast plumage. Looks a little soft - was this a significant crop? Looking forward to more from this series.

Hi Tony, its cropped about 2% as it was tilted a hair and the original is tack sharp. :D

Axel Hildebrandt
05-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Great behavior captured, I also like the soft light and setting. Did you add canvas on the left? It looks like repetitive patterns in the BG and water. I might blur the reeds a bit more.

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Really like the action you captured in this image and the splashing water behind. The out stretched necks really is quite interesting and your timing was perfect. Thanks for sharing Mike!!

Mike Lentz
05-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Great behavior captured, I also like the soft light and setting. Did you add canvas on the left? It looks like repetitive patterns in the BG and water. I might blur the reeds a bit more.

Your too darn good! :D

Fabs Forns
05-12-2009, 04:34 PM
This is adorable, Mike, perfect timing on your part and well done!

Derek Griggs
05-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Very nice Mike, interesting behavior! looks like I should spend more time over here to see what your up too. :)

Stu Bowie
05-13-2009, 05:04 AM
Mike, you certainly wont get glass calm water with action like this. Superb action, with droplets all over, and I like the mimic of each other. The overcast conditions has helped with the exposure, and those red eyes stand out nicely. Well captured.

Steve Canuel
05-14-2009, 12:40 AM
Nice action. Bet that was fun to watch. Saw my first one of these about two weeks ago. He's by himself so no dancing but maybe I'll get lucky here in the coming weeks.