PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Crop?

arash_hazeghi
05-12-2009, 01:00 PM
I posted this in the critique forum but some how the thumbnail ended up black and is not visible:(. Some people recommended cropping from the bottom, that's what I originally did but then the reflection from the Avocets will be clipped, do you think this is ok :confused: ? What would be a perfect crop in this case?

http://www.stanford.edu/~ahazeghi/Photos/birds/DSC_0906_low.jpg

Kerry Perkins
05-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Arash, I would agree with the notion to crop from the bottom. I think the pano crop would make a stronger image and the reflections aren't "whole" enough to add interest. Also appears that a slight CW rotation would help.

arash_hazeghi
05-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks Kerry, what about 3:2 aspect ratio? is it important or is it not?

Lance Peters
05-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Agree with Kerry = crop from the bottom make it more of a pano - the reflections are not strong ehough to add to the image. Only really need to worry about ratio's if you want to have it printed and these days thats not really a issue either.

Kerry Perkins
05-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Arash, as Lance said the aspect ratio is not the most important thing here. If the image wants to be a pano then crop away. Can always mat it for a print or go custom frame. I really like this image with the warm tones and contrast of the two birds against the background.

Alfred Forns
05-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Hi Arash I would not worry at all regarding an aspect ratio ... just crop to taste. If you print it will be a pain since custom mats will have to be made all the time .... unless you flush mount on foam board Looks neat !!

Here I agree on cutting the bottom and doing more into a pano. The thinking is reflections are not strong so its best to do away with them, the biggest improvement here would have been a lower angle. Would have had a sweet bg !!! btw I like two poses and dof !!! Very fine image !!!

arash_hazeghi
05-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Thanks Al, here is repost, do you like this one better?...I was almost kneeling in mud but these guys were still lower I tried changing position but one of them flew off:( next time I should wear some waterproof pants:cool: I also took out the edge line above the avocets.

http://www.stanford.edu/~ahazeghi/Photos/birds/DSC_0906_low.jpg

arash_hazeghi
05-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Oh forgot to rename the original one got updated as well:D

Here is the original one with too much space on the bottom

http://www.stanford.edu/~ahazeghi/Photos/birds/9162312-lg.jpg

Kerry Perkins
05-13-2009, 02:01 AM
Arash, this is how it feels to me. I think that even a little bit of the reflection at the bottom of the frame pulls your eye away from the birds.

arash_hazeghi
05-13-2009, 02:36 AM
Thanks Kerry, I updated the origianl again.

Jackie Schuknecht
05-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Like Kerry's crop with a little off the bottom and more canvas on the right:)

Gus Cobos
05-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Hi arash,
I like the capture, agree on the good advise given...Kerry's crop puts it over the top...looking forward to the next one...:cool: