PDA

View Full Version : Cross on Artist's Point

Kenn Christensen
01-31-2008, 09:00 PM
This was shot in the morning at Artist's Point near Grand Marais, Mn.. the north shore is a beautiful area FULL of great photo ops... and though Im seldom in the right place at the right time.. and landscape isnt my big gun... its not hard to at least get an interesting shot up there.... Ive always liked this one... but from the general response Ive had in other places.. Im about the only one... I spose it comes down to the time Ive spent on the shoreline.. and my memmories there....

Alfred Forns
02-01-2008, 09:09 AM
I like it a lot Kenn Is that a grave marker? Neat foreground with the reflection Excellent feel I like you placement to avoid the land merge up top Lots of images can be made from this one location !!!!!

David Kennedy
02-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Kenn,
What might have made the image stronger is if you had walked up to the reflecting pool in the middle third of the image and used that as your foreground anchor. It would also have given you more separation between the rocky edge and the background shoreline/trees.

Arthur Morris
02-03-2008, 08:29 PM
David's idea is an alternative. I like this one a lot, especially the line in the lower right that points almost to the cross... And if you moved forward, you would lose all those loverly patterned lavender rocks.

But heck, I like all of Kenn's images so don't go by me <smile>

later and love, artie

Robert Amoruso
02-04-2008, 07:08 AM
I am going to agree with Artie here as this composition works very well for the reasons stated.

As I mentioned in another post, I am working scenes more and more to challenge myself to find alternate compositions like David suggested.

Gayle Clement
02-04-2008, 08:30 AM
I love this one just as it is. The rocks in the foreground really add to the scene.

Travis Novitsky
02-05-2008, 03:52 AM
I agree with both David AND Artie.....while I like the composition as it is, it would also make for an interesting variation to have the lower edge of the puddle closer to the bottom of the frame. I would have also tried a horizontal orientation from that 'closer to the puddle' vantage point. Its hard to tell but it looks like you have a couple of dust spots in the upper left part of the frame (although it could just be the clouds....only you can know for sure by viewing the original at 100%).

Kenn Christensen
02-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Thanks everyone!...
I really needed the feedback.. I never feel like I quite "nail" a landscape... its an entirely different thought process then with birds and wildlife... the problems are different too.... so I am still learning to overcome them......
and Travis.. GREAT to see you here... Im really looking forward to seeing your stuff displayed in all its beauty.....