PDA

View Full Version : Incoming Black Skimmer @ Sunset

Marina Scarr
05-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Photographed this Black Skimmer in breeding colors just as the sun was setting. Barely had to SAT since the colors were so spectacular.

Canon 50D, Canon 400 DO F4 IS
F5.6, 1/1000th, ISO 400, manual mode
Sitting in the sand, handheld

C & C always welcomed and appreciated,

Mike Lentz
05-12-2009, 09:59 AM
I like the open wings and position of the bird. I'm thinking a higher ISO would have allowed you to go to F/8 and get more DOF... but its sharp in the eye were it matters most.

Indranil Sircar
05-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Excellent light and eye contact. I like the open wing position. The only thing that distracts me is the small green plant under the head.

Kim Rollins
05-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Very nice.

Good composition IMO, well exposed, good color, etc.

The only thing I can think of that I would suggest trying is to bring down the brightness of the bg just a bit as that may 'pop' the bird.

Thanks for sharing this.

John Chardine
05-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Love the hanging/landing pose here Marina. Very well done!

Axel Hildebrandt
05-12-2009, 10:11 AM
I like the 'standing in the air' pose, eye contact and BG and might give it a bit more room top and bottom.

Stu Bowie
05-12-2009, 01:10 PM
I like the show of the upturned wings. Well exposed, and sharp where it counts.

Randy Stout
05-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Marina:

Very nice light. I think that your aperture is probably the correct choice, because and more DOF would have brought the background more into focus, which I think would have been more of a problem than the slight blur of the wing. The eye, head and feet are sharp.

I agree with Axel about just a bit more room, top and bottom.

I think Kims point is valid as well about the background brightness, but it didn't strike me as distracting.

Thanks for sharing. I always chuckle at these guys. All bill, no legs! Obviously not a wading bird!

Randy

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Well done Marina. Lovely warm light and wingspread. You caught the peak of the action. :)

Michael Huggan
05-13-2009, 03:28 AM
Hi Marina,

I like the picture. The 'just about to land' shows good timing. In particular, the Skimmer's bill. I always see these birds a long way off, or flying high. It is interesting to read the other postings regarding DOF and lighting. It goes to show what current thinking is at the moment. Again, good shot.

Michael

Ramon M. Casares
05-13-2009, 06:52 AM
Stunning Marina! Great, GREAT pose, lovely comp, detail, exposure, colors, ambient and colors. Congratulations!