PDA

View Full Version : Solitary Sandpiper

Kent Wilson
05-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Taken with Canon 50D, Canon 400mmf/5.6 on Gitzo tripod with Wimberley head.

Av mode, multisegment metering, ISO 400, 1/200 @ f/5.6. Canon 430EX Flash @-1 2/3.

I had to crop the image (just couldn't get closer without spooking the bird). Wondering if the reflection helps or hurts? And it looks like the belly could stand to be burned in a bit.

As always, your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

kent

Alfred Forns
05-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Hi Kent

Reflection looks good but the harsh light is hurting the bird. Difficult to photograph white birds under those conditions. Also the bg ground is not cooperating !!

There is one thing you can do here an works well !!! Take a picture of the reflection and forget the bird. Afterwards turn it upside down ... will surprise you !!! With no wind and a strong reflection they work, sure tames contrast !!!!

denise ippolito
05-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Kent, Nice capture- I would take some off the bottom and maybe a bit off the top. I think you are right about the belly. Nice pose and HA. The reflection looks like a painting!! Alfred's got a good idea w/ the reflection!

Lance Peters
05-12-2009, 02:38 AM
Hi Kent - agree with Al - a lower shooting angle may have helped with the BG, as for the whites always best to try and get them close in camera via your histogram and overexposure blinkies.
The Harsh light was the killer here.

Gus Cobos
05-12-2009, 05:21 AM
Hi Kent,
I agree wit Mr. Forns and Mr. Peters on the capture angle in reference to the background, the hot whites on your subject can be toned down...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Kent Wilson
05-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks, folks. As always, your comments are spot on and sincerely appreciated. The photo was taken at 7 am, so I didn't anticipate that the light would be harsh, but it was later than "golden", obviously. I think the light was harsh because there are a lot of dead trees with light trunks reflecting in the water. I don't remember the sky: maybe cloudless?

At any rate, your comments prove quite valuable and I hope to keep on learning. Thanks so much.