PDA

View Full Version : Aztec Butte Granary

Rich Ikerd
05-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Aztec Butte Granary, Canyonlands National Park, Utah
D2X, 12-24mm @ 12mm, iso 100, 5 exposures 1.3EV apart

Resorted to HDR to get this image to mirror what we saw at the top of Aztec Butte in Canyonlands National Park. A nice little hike straight-up the sides of the butte revealed several granaries from the Anazasi.

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Very nice and interesting place.

Nice combination of colors. May be is my eyes, but the horizon line needs some rotation.

Roman Kurywczak
05-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Hey Richard,
Very effective use of the HDR here...if it does need rotation...it is ever so slight. My only issue is the strong shadow area behind the pile of rocks.....almost looks like flash shadow. Think it's an artifact of HDR??? Let's see if others have an idea.

Harold Davis
05-12-2009, 04:52 PM
you might have to play with the shadows clippping slider to take care of the shadow roman is talking about. good spot, roman. the horizon line looks perfect to me. nice compo. the colors are really nice!!

Rich Ikerd
05-13-2009, 05:15 AM
Thanks guys. Guess I overlooked the shadow (definitely not a flash artifact), so I'll go back and play with the HDR sliders some more.

Robert Amoruso
05-15-2009, 06:31 AM
If possible I would suggest a bit higher vantage point to get the horizon line out of the small hole and make that clear to the sky. A minor thing to be sure. HDR handled well - shadow mentioned. I also see a halo at the blue sky/cave rim line.

Ed Cordes
05-15-2009, 08:50 PM
Shadow aside a very nice presentation. I was there 1 1/2 years ago and didn't get to see this perspective. I think I was on the other side. Since I was alone I didn't push the limit and scramble all the very narrow ledges. I did get to see a few graineries. They are cool.