PDA

View Full Version : Brown Pelican with Nesting Material (from Hooptie Deux)

Bob Blanchard
05-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Here's yet another from the Hooptie Deux last weekend. The Brown Pelicans were carrying nesting material all evening, and we got many great images as James had us in the perfect location. Did I mention that we had a great time?

I realize that the head/wing impedence here is typically a point against, but I couldn't pass up this overall comp with the incredible blue BG. I did clone out a part of the stick that was protruding from the back of the head.

Canon 1DsMII, 600mm f/4, f/4, 1/1250, ISO 200, manual mode, tripod, from the deck of the Hooptie Deux.
http://catcheroflight.smugmug.com/photos/533326392_fyFzp-L.jpg

Ramon M. Casares
05-10-2009, 08:52 PM
It doesn't get better that this IMO, great wing position, lovely light, colors, detail, ambient, BG, head angle and moment, still, it looks a little bit oversharpened. Big congratulations Bob!

Daniel Cadieux
05-10-2009, 08:56 PM
You are right, the comp and blues look great. I like the hint of reflection at bottom. I do feel like the whole head could go darker though. Nice job on the clone job :-)

Fabs Forns
05-10-2009, 09:00 PM
This is formidable, Bob, great BG, pose and nesting material to boot! Congratulations!

Mike Lentz
05-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Nice wing position and BG! I agree that the head could go darker.

Mark Dumbleton
05-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Simply superb. I like the wing position, dont ask me why but it balances this nicely. Great BG, with sharp detail. Very well captured.

Stu Bowie
05-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Super comp, and I like the flying angle. This is pin sharp, and love the dropped wings, and the pelican stands out so well against your amazing BG. Congrats.

Dave Barnes
05-12-2009, 12:16 AM
I love the angle of the shot. Nice detail on the bird and a superb BG.
Have you thought of dodging the area around the eye just a tad to tone down the reflection?

Daniel Cadieux
05-12-2009, 04:43 AM
Have you thought of dodging the area around the eye just a tad to tone down the reflection?

Dave, I'm sure you meant burn instead of dodge?

Dave Barnes
05-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Yes Daniel you are right, sorry.

Bob Blanchard
05-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Whites on head are not blown, so easy fix. I don't think taking the whole head down would be good, though. I want to keep the seperation from the impedence on the wing. I'll adjust and repost what I mean. Thanks for the great comments.

BTW Ramon - I think you're the first person ever to say I oversharpened something! (I usually hate sharpening, and avoid it :-))

Danny Laredo
05-13-2009, 10:02 AM
It doesn't get better that this IMO, great wing position, lovely light, colors, detail, ambient, BG, head angle and moment, still, it looks a little bit oversharpened. Big congratulations Bob!
Totally agree. :)