PDA

View Full Version : Star of Bethlehem

Julie Kenward
05-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Due to my stringent position on never putting toxic chemicals on my lawn, I get a variety of wildflowers growing from time to time. This one, although poisonous, is one of my favorites - Star of Bethlehem. They sprout up for a couple of weeks and then are gone until next year when they reappear throughout my woodsy backyard.

I added a small black vignette to this image to help focus the attention on the flower. These were just below the grass line, hence the green criss crosses throughout the image.

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro (and probably the 20mm extension tube)
f3.2 @ 1/500th, ISO 400
Manual mode, pattern metering,
Handheld, no flash
Processed in ACR & CS4

Kaushik Balakumar
05-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Absolute beauty. Liked everything about this image. The small grass running above/across the flowers seem to add to the image's aesthetics IMO. Liked the OOF green foliage.
Am a bit unsure about the vignetting part though. But guess I can't really determine that without viewing "non-vignetted" image.
A lovely image Julie.

Julie Kenward
05-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Kaushik, here's the one without the small vignette. It's subtle but it did seem to make a difference...

Jackie Schuknecht
05-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Beautiful Julie, I think I like the vignette as the flowers really stand out. Great graphic quality to this image.

Kaushik Balakumar
05-11-2009, 05:03 AM
Oh k...
I understand why you used vignetting. It does bring the attention more to the flowers. Both versions seem good to me.

Mike Fuhr
05-11-2009, 04:16 PM
I like it without -- the bright white flowers seem to keep my attention just fine. Nice composition -- I really like the random grass blades.

Mike Moats
05-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Hey Jules, very cool comp, well done.

Charles Wesley
05-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Jules,

Nice placement of the two main flowers in the frame. Like the colors also.

Thanks for sharing....

Anita Bower
05-14-2009, 10:48 AM
I like the crisscrossing grasses! You found/created a pleasing composition. I like both versions. Glad to learn that you don't use poisons on your grass! Keep it up. Same here, and we mow around wildflowers. Half of our back yard is unmowed (can't be seen from street or neighbors.)