PDA

View Full Version : Mother Goose

RichardCurtin
05-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Thought this would be a good Mother's Day photo. Taken last month at a small lake in our neighborhood in NE Alabama. The chicks were several days old and the mother was sheltering them from the afternoon sun. Canon 1D mk III, 100-400 @ 400, ISO 800, 1/640, f5.6

Arthur Morris
05-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Cute, and a good Mother's Day image but lots of problems most caused by the rather harsh off-anlged light. You needed a cloudy day....

RichardCurtin
05-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the comments. I somehow did manage to find a sunny afternoon during our recent monsoon season. Peter - this was almost full frame. Best.

Mark Fuge
05-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Great find.

Like the expressions on the goslings.

In addition to the other comments, I would have preferred a little more depth of field in this one. The mother's head being out of focus. But understand. Not that critical, but would be nice.

Additionally, I would clone out, or greatly tone down, the tree. The OOF image, in my view, distracts from the subject due to it's brightness.

But a great shot that could easily be made very nice with some small adjustments.

RichardCurtin
05-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Mark,
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I went back and tried to subdue the tree trunk as well as trying better to balance the highlights and shadows on the goslings and came up with a result I am happier with.

Mark Fuge
05-14-2009, 07:18 AM
That's what we're here for!

Good shooting! ;)