PDA

View Full Version : Male Anna's Hummingbird

Dan Brown
05-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Taking a break from the Costa Rica pix editing, I shot this guy on a heavy overcast day. Cropped and PP'ed in ACR and CS3, sharpened with Nik.

Camera Model: NIKON D300, handheld
Shutter speed: 1/500 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Exposure mode: Manual
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 800
Lens: VR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D
Focal length: 400mm
Focal length: 600mm (in 35mm film)
VR Image Stabilization: On
AF mode: AF-S

Fabs Forns
05-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Nice detail in the plumage. It could go lighter for my tastes and wish the OOF flowers were not merging with his bill in the front and back. I don't know your p/p ethics, but with patience, it could be fixed.

Axel Hildebrandt
05-10-2009, 12:07 PM
I like the iridescence and perch and agree that it is a bit dark. Did you apply NR on the plumage? If it were mine, I would remove the branch sticking out of the head.

Dan Walker
05-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Agree about the branch. nice pose and sheen on the gorget and enjoy the overall scene. Now get back to those Costa Rica images:)

Arthur Morris
05-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Though there were only a few flashing pixels on the crown gorget the pinks were pretty much detail-less. I did one Linear Burn followed by a scond smaller one. Underexposing to save the gorget detail has left the image overall dark. And another vote for no branch thru the head (if that fits with your personal ethics).

Arthur Morris
05-10-2009, 01:25 PM
After seeing my first re-post, I went back and added lots of CYAN to the REDS in the crown and then de-SATed the crown and lightened it a bit.

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Beautiful bird Dan!

Thanks for sharing it!

I agree about the plant in front of the bird, other that that, a great image that has a special mood of loneliness, at least for me (may be that's the impression the picture gives)

Dan Brown
05-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks all for the comments and help. In the repost, I QM'ed out the offending branch from behind the head/bill and lightened the overall image. Art, I like the idea of more detail in the crown but I think that your treatment has taken the color beyond what the Anna's would actually show. So, I selected the crown, inverted the selection and then adjusted the brightness to the left, darkening the area which seems to have revealed detail while retaining the true color IMO:).

Stu Bowie
05-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Dan, your repost works so much better. No distractions around the head. I like the colours, and pose. BTW, great pp work.

Arthur Morris
05-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Way to go Dan. Your repost rocks. At least I got you on the right track <smile>

Dan Brown
05-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Thanks Artie! I very much value your C&C!