PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio, TX, in early June

Joerg Rockenberger
05-10-2009, 10:52 AM
I'll attend a conference in the first week of June in San Antonio, TX, and I am thinking about doing some photography the weekend before/after as well as perhaps during the week in the morning/evening.

I know that there is the Rio Grande Area within a few hours drive but I don't know what location would be best in late May/early June. Also, any recommendations within or just outside of San Antonio would be greatly appreciated. I am not hunting exotics or rare species but would already be excited to photograph some of your regulars. In either case, easy to reach by car would be helpful.

Thank you. Best, JR

Joerg Rockenberger
05-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Yikes. Found more information that I can handle:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/wildlife_trails/heart/hot_west/
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/wildlife_trails/heart/hot_east/

And then there is of course www.lensandland.com (http://www.lensandland.com)...

Any first hand experiences and recommendations much appreciated. Thanks, JR

Joerg Rockenberger
05-27-2009, 07:26 PM
Too bad that this forum is not as active as I surely could use some input re photographing in San Antonio, TX, or the surrounding area the weekend of June 5 - 7.

I contacted the owner of Los Madrones Ranch (Texas Hill Country) and he indicated that bird activity has dropped significantly this week due to the migrants moving on and locals breeding. So, I am wondering if it might be better at the coast close to Corpus Christi. Any input much appreciated. Thanks, JR

Trey Barron
05-27-2009, 09:29 PM
I was in Corpus in March and had a lot of success. I do not know what your targets are but here is a link that will get you started

http://www.birdsofcorpuschristi.com/locations.html

I spent a lot of time at the Port Aransas Birding Center (Morning light only) and in the evenings spent time in Corpus or off the Causway that goes to the island. Send me a PM if you have questions

Hope that helps a little

Joerg Rockenberger
05-28-2009, 08:15 AM
Trey,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post. This is definitely helpful. I contacted Juan for some more information and I'll post a trip report here once I am back.

Best, JR

Trey Barron
06-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Looking forward to hearing about your trip and seeing some images. Hope it goes well.

Joerg Rockenberger
06-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Trey,

your link re shooting opportunities in Corpus Christi was indeed a "life" saver. I doubt that I would have accomplished much without it. That being said early June is probably not the best time of the year to visit the Texas gulf coast to photograph birds. E.g. I went to the Aransas Ntl. Wildlife Refuge - a good hour drive north of Corpus Christi - and I guess I was bitten by more mosquitoes than I saw birds there. Make that one or two dozens despite applying DEET...

Nonetheless, I saw plenty of birds new to me (granted, I am still a beginner) at the locations mentioned at http://www.birdsofcorpuschristi.com/locations.html but the conditions were not always ideal. For instance, Hans Suter Wildlife area is most definitely an afternoon/evening shoot but with easterly winds both days it was tough. On the other hand, Portland Indian Point Park is clearly a morning shoot - especially with eastern winds - although the birds can be sparse and relatively far away - and shy! I had no luck at the John F. Kennedy Causeway and the shoreline of North Padre Island although both showed plenty of birds. North Padre Island, I only visited in the morning and as the shoreline is facing east with winds again from the East it was tough. I guess I am not brave enough (yet) to wade into the surf to take pics of some terns or sanderlings...

I don't know if the Eastern winds are generally prevalent for the area but if they are then this severely limits the shooting opportunities in my opinion. Hope someone else will find this helpful.

Stay tuned for pics. Best, JR

Trey Barron
06-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Glad I could help out a little. I wish it would have been more productive for you and look forward to seeing some of the images.

Don't know about the East winds as I am only there about a week out of the year. When I was there they were typically more SE, which worked out in the mornings at some locations.

Pete Parker
06-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Rio Grande Valley:
Next time you head that way I would try Laguna Atascosa NWR in the Rio Grande Valley and Falcon Dam State Park.
Laguna Atascosa NWR can be incredible if you catch it right. Be advised however, a long lens comes in pretty handy for the 16 mile drive loop. Expect to see lots of Green Jays at the visitors center. There's no place to camp or stay near Laguna, so it's a daily drive from Harlingen where you can get a hotel room.

Falcon Dam State Park has cabins you can rent and set up as a base of operations for a couple of days if desired. June is a little late in the season, the best birding is February through May. Many of the species of migrants begin moving on in June.

Corpus Area:
Port Aransas Birding Center used to be incredible until the city decided to stop controlling the Cattails. Mustang Island State Park on the Bay side will provide you with some excellent opportunities for Waders and Merlins. Just be careful about driving on the soft areas, you can get stuck very easily. I lived in the area for 11 years and now reside 30 minutes North of San Angelo.

San Antonio Area:
Choke Canyon State Park
This place used to be incredible for Whitetail Bucks with big racks. Poachers have since taken most of the good deer; pathetic morons in my book. Most hunters in Texas are very responsible and would never consider poaching a deer.

There's still lots of wildlife in the park however. The Caliham unit is where you want to go. Again like Falcon Dam State Park, you can rent a cabin to operate out of. Expect to see Raptors, Vermilion Flycatchers, Green Jays, Golden-fronted Woodpeckers, Waders, Bobwhite Quail, Great Horned Owls (if you can find one during the day), and much more.
This park can get crowded with fisherman so make sure you make reservations for your cabin a week or so before going. You can get permission to put a bird feeder out at your cabin, you have to get permission at the front desk, but they will not allow any corn what so ever. They'll write you a citation if they find you using corn. Choke Canyon is best from October to April. It starts to get too hot after that.

Hope this helps.

Pete Parker