PDA

View Full Version : New visitor to the backyard studio

Randy Stout
05-09-2009, 09:28 PM
It was a rainy, dark day, but the birds were hopping. I had a few minutes to spend between showers.

This handsome immature male RWB paid a visit. Although RWB are very common in Michigan, this is the first year I have had them at our feeders. We live in pretty heavy woods, so surprised to see them.

I am assuming he is from last years hatch, and will take until next year to reach full color? I liked the orange edging of some feathers and thought the perch matched his color well.

Nikon D300 500mm f/4 at 5.6 1/250 ISO 800 Ap Priority -.7 SB800 with beamer -1.3 Gitzo Wimb. V2

Comments appreciated as always

Randy

Jim Fenton
05-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Randy...

Really enjoy the detail in the plumage on this youngster.

Really like the background.

The only thing IMHO that would have made this better would have been s light head turn to give some seperation between the dark bill and the drak feathers.

One of my favorite lighting conditions :)

Randy Stout
05-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Jim:

Excellent point about the bill. I do think because of the color/shade difference between it and the black, that it isn't to bad, but a clean shot of bill against the background would have been better!

Thanks

Randy

Arthur Morris
05-10-2009, 04:48 AM
Lovely bird, COMP, and EXP. However, as I have said and written many times, for over the shoulder images the very best head angle is perfectly square to the imaging sensor....

Chris Kotze
05-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Excellent exposure detail and a super BG

Axel Hildebrandt
05-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Great light and BG, good details and exposure control, head angle has been mentioned.

Stu Bowie
05-10-2009, 11:43 AM
You have nailed the exposure on the blacks very well Randy. I like hint of colour on the top of the wing, together with the softer colour of the BG.

Ramon M. Casares
05-11-2009, 11:25 AM
I love that perch, the light was nice for this dark bird, exposure looks good IMO, comp is nice, detail and pose is great, BG, and colors are also looking preety great to me, I would only suggest to remove the bright fot in the bird's bill. Congratulations!