f/6.3
1/60sec.
AV
Tripod
Pop up flash 0 exp comp.

(White-necked Jacobin)

Alfred Forns
05-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Hi Juan Carlos I like the natural set up and wing blur Would like the head area lighter Maybe a stronger flash? Very good looking image !!!

Arthur Morris
05-10-2009, 05:45 AM
Nice bird, flower, and colors but the image has many problems.
#1: head soft probably from movement.
#2: head too dark as noted above.
#3: the very light area of the BKGR is very distracting as it drwas the viewer's eye from the subject.
#4: Going a bit wider to include more of the flower might have yielded a more pleasing image.

Biggest problem is #3.

Why so many eye highlights if only the pop-up flash?

Thank you sir for your membership support.

Greg Basco
05-10-2009, 08:36 AM
Hola, Juan Carlos. Aside from the points already mentioned, I think the biggest issue this image has is the awkward composition resulting from the starting point of the flower. As Arthur said, going a bit wider to include more of the flower would have helped but there's just something about the positioning of the flower that doesn't work for me.

That said, it's a nice effort as I know these guys are not easy to photograph. The overall exposure looks pretty good. I think going up to a higher ISO to gain more shutter speed would have been a big help -- not to freeze the wings as I certainly don't mind the wing blur but rather to ensure sharpness in the head.

By the way, this plant is genus Sanchezia in the Acanthaceae family. Was this at Naturalista?

Saludos,
Greg

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-10-2009, 12:40 PM
#1: head soft probably from movement.
Yes, that's probable.

#2: head too dark as noted above.
This bird has a very dark blue head, may be I could have used more comp. on flash.

#3: the very light area of the BKGR is very distracting as it draws the viewer's eye from the subject.
Also true, I was having lots of problems with the natural light since it was very changing, next time I will use some sort of artificial BG.

Biggest problem is #3.
Got it.
Why so many eye highlights if only the pop-up flash?
As I mentioned before, I was having problems with natural light, that's the reflection of the flash and sky.

Thank you sir for your membership support.[/quote]

You are welcome, thank you also for taking time to help me with my learning.

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Hola, Juan Carlos. Aside from the points already mentioned, I think the biggest issue this image has is the awkward composition resulting from the starting point of the flower. As Arthur said, going a bit wider to include more of the flower would have helped but there's just something about the positioning of the flower that doesn't work for me.

That said, it's a nice effort as I know these guys are not easy to photograph. The overall exposure looks pretty good. I think going up to a higher ISO to gain more shutter speed would have been a big help -- not to freeze the wings as I certainly don't mind the wing blur but rather to ensure sharpness in the head.

By the way, this plant is genus Sanchezia in the Acanthaceae family. Was this at Naturalista?

Saludos,
Greg

Thank you so much for your comments, they are very welcome! (it's a shame I could not find a smaller flower:()

Also thank you for the ID of this plant, I could not find it in any of my plant books.

Yes, I was having fun at Naturalista.

Randy Stout
05-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Juan:

I took a minute on your image to see if I could address some of the issues raised. I used NX2 as I mentioned to you before on one of your frog images.

See what you think. Darkened the background, still one hot spot by the wings, but better overall I think.
Lightened and sharpened the head.

Just an option for you to consider.

Randy

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Juan:

I took a minute on your image to see if I could address some of the issues raised. I used NX2 as I mentioned to you before on one of your frog images.

See what you think. Darkened the background, still one hot spot by the wings, but better overall I think.
Lightened and sharpened the head.

Just an option for you to consider.

Randy

Hello Randy.

And thank you so much for your work on the repost, yes that can be a good option to consider.:)