PDA

View Full Version : GBH in Flight

James Phillips
05-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Taken with 1D MKIII 600 f/4 IS using the 1.4 TC shot at ISO 800 shutter 1/2000 f/ 5.6

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/GliderParentsNTN/Birds%202009/_B8D8788copy.jpg

Randy Stout
05-09-2009, 11:20 AM
James:

Excellent banking pose showing both wings well. Exposure is very close, maybe a bit hot on face and tail, but very close.

Head could stand a bit of sharpening. The crop is too tight all the way around for my taste.

Interesting background, and I think with more room the horizontal lines of the background will look good with the birds layout.

There is a little noise in the background.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Randy

Axel Hildebrandt
05-09-2009, 11:25 AM
I like the eye contact and sense of speed. I find it a bit tight in the frame and I would apply some CCW rotation. I agree with Randy regarding NR on the BG.

James Phillips
05-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks for input I will work on the file and repost this weekend.

Randy you mentioned cropping just how much more space is needed to make this look right?

Fabs Forns
05-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Thanks for input I will work on the file and repost this weekend.

Randy you mentioned cropping just how much more space is needed to make this look right?

A subject should be roughly 75% of the frame, unless you have a powerful reason to do it otherwise.
You can repost in this thread :)

Randy Stout
05-09-2009, 02:33 PM
James:

Fabs gave you a good rule of thumb for max. size in frame. I think you can go less at times, depending on the overall image.

Your image needs more space, all the way around. Is this image full frame? If not, submit the full frame image and we can show you some options! Just as a rough estimate, I would like to see 2x the space you currently have below and in front, 50% more top and rear. A pano crop, very wide compared to height is well suited to type of image ( long bird, flying.)

Randy

Arthur Morris
05-10-2009, 05:50 AM
A subject should be roughly 75% of the frame, unless you have a powerful reason to do it otherwise. :)

I think that I have heard that before.... :) :) :)

Arthur Morris
05-10-2009, 05:52 AM
Looks sharp enough to me. I addition to the good comments above I would add that the near wing position is far less than ideal. Notice that the o-o-f primaries that are curved downards are distracting. Had the near-wing been in the full up position you would have had a winner.