PDA

View Full Version : View from John Day Fossil Beds

Tom Walter
05-09-2009, 10:31 AM
The sunlit grasses on the hill contrasting with the red rocks and blue sky caught my eye for this composition.

Nikon D200
Nikon18-200 3.5-5.6 G VR at 26mm
1/20 sec at f 16 shot at hyperfocal distance
ISO 200
Tripod<O:p</O:p

Rene Quenneville
05-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Wow! Great colors!

If you crop about 1/3 to 1/2 of the bute to the left; the green grass will be put more in evidence and the composition will be stronger.

Roman Kurywczak
05-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Hey Tom,
I agree with Rene....The red butte is a bit overpowering to me compositionally and dominates the image. Not sure if the crop wil work as it seems to unbalance the image further. Let's see what others chime in.

Robert Amoruso
05-10-2009, 12:22 PM
I am OK with the red rock and cropping in my opinion unbalances the image. Best to move around in the field in a case like this. All and all I think this comp works well, good mixed of shapes diagonals opposing each other and colors (rocks to grass to hill) to add depth to the image.

Paul Marcellini
05-10-2009, 04:25 PM
This one isn't as strong as your others Tom. i don't think a crop works, and I agree with others about the blank red hill being too dominant. I really dont see a fix for this image that I'm happy with. The best I come up with is a crop up to the red hill. Exposure looks good though.

Grady Weed
05-10-2009, 06:53 PM
I agree, no crop. Maybe go back and take another view. If not possible, then keep it. That red rock and clay is dynamite. That blue sky makes a great contrast. It does have some strong corner to corner lines going for it. Lots of possibilities here. Keep posting these.