PDA

View Full Version : Monopod - help please

Anders Nielsen
01-31-2008, 05:48 PM
I am looking for a monopod and a head for my EOS 400D and EF 400mm f/5.6 L. I was thinking about getting the Bogen / Manfrotto 682B (3231) and the Manfrotto 393 Gimbal head.

I have never used a gimbal head before and I can't try it before buying it. My real question is if it will be overkill for a 400 5.6 lens - is it possible to balance it well?

I allready have a Manfrotto tripod but I am going to Peru (the Amazon) and I don't want to take a heavy tripod if I can "settle" for a monopod.

Any experiences with the monopod is welcome too!!:)

Thanks in advance
Anders

Robert O'Toole
01-31-2008, 06:20 PM
The 400F5.6 is one of my favorite all time handholding BIF lenses.

For monopod use, maybe try a tilt head and not a full on gimble head. A tilt head offers flexibility for not much weight and size. I use it with a QQR clamp.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5498-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_3232_3232_Swivel_Tilt_Head.html

I would recommend a CF gitzo really if possible to pack and if it is in the budget.

Robert

Anders Nielsen
01-31-2008, 06:34 PM
Th Gitzos are a bit over my budget as I prefer tripods when I am not travelling. I got the idea that the 3 legs on the Manfrotto monopod would add some stability for slower shutterspeeds and thought that the Gimbal would work nice on static subjects if a remotecontrol is used to release the shutter.

I may be wrong, but if so please let me know.

Could you explain me the difference between a tilt head and a ball head - to me they look a like.

Anders

James Prudente
01-31-2008, 07:59 PM
Here is a great solution. Expecially if you add a Wimberley Sidekick for the longer lenses.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/mmRRS/Others/MonopodSolution.pdf

Hope this helps.

Jim

Alfred Forns
01-31-2008, 08:16 PM
Andres you are better off hand holding that lens If you want to use a monopod check the Really Right Stuff website They have a great idea for using the monopod Works great and its simple !!!

Robert O'Toole
01-31-2008, 09:18 PM
The tilt head is smaller, lighter, cheaper and lower in profile than most ball -heads also the TH only tilts so the action is controlled where the BH just moves in any direction when loose. You dont really need a pan movement with a monopod, you can just rotate the monopod, but tilting helps with framing.
The Tilt head looks strange but it works with a monopod. I use it with a Quick release clamp.

Robert

Anders Nielsen
02-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Thanks a lot for all the advices. I will keep looking for a better alternative.

Anders

Steve Wheeler
02-04-2008, 01:32 PM
I have the set up described above... Mono w/ tilt head and quick release plate (not RRS but a good one). I love using this set up... The mono is easy to carry/move around and adjust to height quickly. When shooting BIF it's very easy to simply rotate on the mono foot for left to right adjustments and the tilt head gives you your up and down rotation. I use this set up with my 30D/ battery grip & 100-400 w/P20 plate combo a LOT and it works very well for me. You still get extra support, but it's a little more flexable and manuverable than I tripod.

The only thing I don't like about the manfroto tilt head is the friction adjustment knob. With the 100-400 it's not a problem, but I rented a 300 f2.8 a couple weeks ago and that is a much heavier lens. When I screwed the friction knob in enough so the lens wouldn't flop over by itself I noticed it wasn't as smooth when adjusting vertical angle on say an incomming BIF. It would stick and jump and I'd loose the bird in the view finder. The weight on my 100-400 is such that I can snug the friction knob down enough to prevent flop and STILL get pretty smooth vertical angle adjustment in the heat of the moment so to speak.

At $20 bucks the tilt head is more than reasonable. I'd pay more however if someone would design one that had some bearings in it and wouldn't stick when tightened down for a heavier lens.

I'd be very interested to know if a better built / higher quality tilit head existed out there... I've not been able to find one.

Steve

Robert O'Toole
02-04-2008, 03:05 PM
[SIZE=2]At $20 bucks the tilt head is more than reasonable. I'd pay more however if someone would design one that had some bearings in it and wouldn't stick when tightened down for a heavier lens.

I'd be very interested to know if a better built / higher quality tilit head existed out there... I've not been able to find one.

Steve,
This creature does exist, I have one, and it works as advertised.

Acratech.com (http://acratech.net/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AOS&Product_Code=LLH&Category_Code=Ballheads)

Robert

Steve Wheeler
02-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Looks slick! Will check it out more closely when I get home tonight.

Thanks Robert!

Steve

James Prudente
03-11-2008, 12:13 PM
I have the set up described above... Mono w/ tilt head and quick release plate (not RRS but a good one). I love using this set up... The mono is easy to carry/move around and adjust to height quickly. When shooting BIF it's very easy to simply rotate on the mono foot for left to right adjustments and the tilt head gives you your up and down rotation. I use this set up with my 30D/ battery grip & 100-400 w/P20 plate combo a LOT and it works very well for me. You still get extra support, but it's a little more flexable and manuverable than I tripod.

The only thing I don't like about the manfroto tilt head is the friction adjustment knob. With the 100-400 it's not a problem, but I rented a 300 f2.8 a couple weeks ago and that is a much heavier lens. When I screwed the friction knob in enough so the lens wouldn't flop over by itself I noticed it wasn't as smooth when adjusting vertical angle on say an incomming BIF. It would stick and jump and I'd loose the bird in the view finder. The weight on my 100-400 is such that I can snug the friction knob down enough to prevent flop and STILL get pretty smooth vertical angle adjustment in the heat of the moment so to speak.

At $20 bucks the tilt head is more than reasonable. I'd pay more however if someone would design one that had some bearings in it and wouldn't stick when tightened down for a heavier lens.

Steve

Just add a Sidekick to what you already have and your problem is solved. Just lock the tilt head in the vertical and slide the Sidkick into the clamp attach the lens and you will be able to smoothly adjust the vertical angle and it is much more economical than the Acratech.

Jim