PDA

View Full Version : 40D Custom Functions Help Needed

Cynthia West
01-31-2008, 05:44 PM
For those of you that use a Canon 40D which custom functions do you have for III and for IV? Do you use the CFII-3 Highlight Tone priority? Do you use the AF-ON button to start focusing?
Cynthia W.

Robert O'Toole
01-31-2008, 06:27 PM
Sorry I dont have a 40D but I have been shooting canon DSLRs forever.

HTP works well and most 1DMKIII users leave it on all the time, but shawdow details can suffer.

AF-On button (back button focus) is an excellent option that you should give a try, that is AF-On or back button only. I have been using Back Button (a custom function previously) for almost as long as I have been shooting. Last year I was forced to use normal front button focus and I couldnt see how anyone uses the default front button. I was trying to shoot a Brown bear cub in tall grass and every time I would lock the focus on the bears eyes, the second I pressed the shutter the AF would re-focus on the grass. I dont see how front button focusers can make a sharp picture in challenging situations.
With AF-On it will only focus when you need it to. Once you lock on its locked until you start AF again.

Give them a try you might like them.

Hope my advice helps.
Robert

Cynthia West
02-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks Robert,
Still hoping to get some feedback from owners of the 40D regarding specific setting for Custom Function III, and IV.
Cynthis

Tim Vidrine
02-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Cynthia,

I have the HTP set on my 40D. I also have the * button set to start focusing. I had the AF-On set for this, but found myself hitting the * instead so enabled CF IV #2. I just starting using the "back" button after reading Jim's "bump focusing" for birds in flight.