PDA

View Full Version : Berkshire Spring 2

Richard Lovison
05-08-2009, 05:18 PM
http://richardlovison.com/photos/tanglewood.jpg
© reserved 2009, Richard Lovison

Due to Roman's influence I went out and purchased a 67mm and 72mm adapter ring to be used with my "P" series Cokin setup so I could use my GND with my digital setup. The above image was taken with a 2 stop GND filter.

Olympus E-3
ZD 14-54mm @ 38mm
1/100 sec @ f8
Cokin 2 stop GND filter
manual exposure
manual focusing
ISO 100

Paul Marcellini
05-08-2009, 07:20 PM
You got some great light here. Love how that tree pops. The comp works great also. The grad line is just a tocuh noticeable, I may try a color selection of the bright greens, bring up the exposure a touch and then further mask out the lower part of the tree so it only brightens the top to get a more even exposure.

Roman Kurywczak
05-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Hey Richard,
Yeah....sometimes it happens with the split ND......usually not as noticable on more distant objects.....this is probably a very easy fix as Paul recommended.....so no big deal. I like the strong bright green of the new growth on the tree and it's placement. Just looks like spring!

Richard Lovison
05-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Paul and Roman,

As I understand, you are suggesting I sample the color of the leaves at the top of the tree (eyedropper tool?) and then selectively brighten them (not sure how in CS2) and mask the bottom of the tree so only the top lightens up. Correct me if I'm wrong. If I understood correctly, could you explain a method or point me to a place at BPN if something was written about this in a previous article?

Thanks. :)

Richard Lovison
05-09-2009, 07:15 AM
OK, I figured it out on my own. I used the "color range" tool under the "select" menu with the "sampled colors" option. I then used the "eyedropper" tool to pick a color in the leaves in the upper part of the tree until I got the proper amount of leaves to light up in the selection preview window. I then used the "curves" tool to drag the mid-tones up, saved and deselected. Subtle though I believe it worked.

http://richardlovison.com/photos/tanglewood2.jpg
© reserved 2009, Richard Lovison

Dave Mills
05-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Richard, I believe you succeeded with the correction. It was subtle but added to the image. Overall I like the comp which is simple and has strength. The split helped very much in the balancing of the exposure and brought out the detail in the sky....

Roman Kurywczak
05-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Hey Richard,
I had to put them up side by side to see the difference. As you mentioned subtle but effective. Nice job bringing it up.

Robert Amoruso
05-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Well done Richard with the tonal correction on a well executed composition.