PDA

View Full Version : Barn Swallow

Jim Buescher
05-08-2009, 07:57 AM
http://jimbuescher.zenfolio.com/img/v1/p48456143-4.jpg

This bird was very cooperative but the light was less than ideal; back/sidelight, dark bird against light BG. Also with it just sitting there, does it become another "bird on a stick" image?

Canon 40D
Sigma 500 f4,5 EX
ISO 200
1/200 @ 5.6
Fill flash about -1 2/3

Mike Lentz
05-08-2009, 08:33 AM
You did a good job balancing out the backlit bird with your FF. The feather detail, pose and BG are all great. Maybe a small amount more room on the right hand and topside?

Doug Brown
05-08-2009, 02:49 PM
I like the pose and sharpness. The light angle was tough, and you were definitely on the right track with your use of fill flash. I would have dialed back my camera EC to -1/3 or -2/3 (to underexpose the BG) and upped my flash to about -1 to better illuminate the bird. It would have balanced your exposure a little better. Thanks for posting!

Axel Hildebrandt
05-08-2009, 03:55 PM
I like the details, eye contact and head angle. Adding to the other comments, I would tone down the perch a bit and select a slightly wider crop. Keep them coming!

Steve Canuel
05-09-2009, 12:47 AM
Yes to this being another BOAS image (see my Tree Swallow) but nothing wrong with that :) With this kind of detail and color, I find it interesting to study and admire the subject. Plus, Swallows are pretty cool birds.

Jim Buescher
05-09-2009, 08:00 AM
I agree, the only way to admire their iridescent plumage is when they're at rest. With their arial acrobatics, a flight shot would be a challenge. Thanks to all for the C&C, it's appreciated. In regards to the cropping, I didn't have much to work with, this is pretty much a full frame shot. I forgot to mention that I had a 25mm extension tube on the lens.

Arthur Morris
05-10-2009, 04:24 AM
In regards to the cropping, I didn't have much to work with, this is pretty much a full frame shot. I forgot to mention that I had a 25mm extension tube on the lens.

Hey Jim, Excellent critiques above. I will add that I love the thin perch and the nicely designed image.

As far as the crop, if you could have either removed the extension tube or taken a half or full step back that would have given the bird a bit more room in the frame.