PDA

View Full Version : Southern Black Flycatcher (?)

Jeni Williams
05-08-2009, 01:52 AM
There were a number of birds flying around and I decided to try some smallish bird ( 20cms) flight practice. ( first time I've got a reasonably sharp small bif)
What foxes me with this one is that it shows reddish tips so I would ID it as a Redwinged Starling but the head isn't right! The wings of the flycatcher are supposed to be whitish??? Only saw what they were catching once I had it up on screen.
Ok guys, I've put on my bulletproof vest and headgear - so fire away :o
PS I'm trying out different frames so you'll get a variety while I decide which ones I like!:cool:
Canon 40D
focal length: 420mm
exp. time 1/2500sec
Manual setting.
f/5.6
ISO 640
evaluative metering

Nonda Surratt
05-08-2009, 07:01 AM
It certainly is sharp! Could wish for a bit better wing position and I would be tepted to remove the flies/bugs that just look like dirt specks (two close to chest).

Great action! Super job!

Alfred Forns
05-08-2009, 08:08 AM
HI Jeni

You did come up with a good one .... very sharp and interesting wing positon ... full up or down is the goal but this is just fine with me !! Also like the exposure, real nice shadow detail.

I thought you had some mayor sensor cleaning problems :) Agree with Nonda and would evict some of the ones that mimmic dust spots.

Frame wise I think most detract from the image but it is just a personal taste and no right/wrong in any way. The one frame I use once in a while is a slight drop shadow !! btw for OOTB I do use lots of frames and sort of go wild !!!

Oscar Zangroniz
05-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Jeni:
There is a lot that I like about this image; Eye contact, sharpness, wing and leg positions. But do agree about the bugs.
congrats

Jeni Williams
05-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Okay guys and gals, some "dust bunnies" removed! Is this enough?
Thanks for advice and comments.

denise ippolito
05-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Jeni, Nice sharp image and neat pose.Well done.

Gus Cobos
05-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Well done Jeni,
I like the capture with the high key background...you have sharp details and I like the placement of the bird in frame...agree with the cleaning up of the black little bugs...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Jackie Schuknecht
05-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Neat Jeni, so sharp. Like the placement in the frame and the contast between the wings and the black of the bird. Getting things so sharp lately:)