PDA

View Full Version : Ammm...

Sergey Osipov
05-08-2009, 01:32 AM
Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea)

http://birds-photo.com/wp-content/gallery/caplya-seraya/m_19-04-2009_1600__DSC9665.jpg

Thanks for looking and critique! :)

Model: NIKON D80
Exposure Time: 1/640 sec
FNumber: F8,0
Exposure Program: Manual
ISOSpeed Ratings: 160
Exposure Bias Value: - 1 EV
Flash: Off
Focal Length: 300,00 mm
Exposure Mode: Manual Exposure
Focus Mode: AF-S
Lens Information: 300mm F/4.0 D
Flash Used: Did Not Fire

Juan Aragonés
05-08-2009, 02:55 AM
Very good timing and very sharp. Terrific eye contact and the fish between the jaws is a big bonus. The background is very pleasnt and, regarding the composition, I would add more room at the right (if this is a crop, of course) and remove some of the space in the left. Bear in mind that the most interesting part of the image is the heron´s eye, the open beak, and the fish and that all those elements are a bit centered in the upper third of the frame. Very good job and keep them coming ;-)

Sergey Osipov
05-08-2009, 04:13 AM
Juan, thank you very much for the useful critique!

Jory Griesman
05-08-2009, 06:59 AM
Great action shot - not only does the heron have a fish, but it's airborne. I've never managed to catch more than sticks in a heron's mouth. Good exposure through whites, greys and blacks, and good sharpness. I'm not sure how I'd crop this - agree with Juan about head being most important part of this image, and would consider cropping part of the bottom and left of heron, and perhaps adding a bit top and right. Nice graded background. Only detracting aspect, overall, are the shadows/highlights. Did you play with s/h in Photoshop at all? Dodging/burning may also work to even these out.

Matt Hofer
05-08-2009, 08:08 AM
This is my first post on this site and I have looked at hundreds of photos here, but this one made me stop. The sharpness, the eye and the mid-air meal do it all for me.

Stu Bowie
05-08-2009, 08:12 AM
Stunning light, detail and action Sergey. The feather detail really stands out, and this is pin sharp. Great timing to capture the fish in mid beak.

Arthur Morris
05-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Ditto Juan plus you did an excellent job of controlling the EXP in less than ideal lighting conditions (light from the right rear...)