PDA

View Full Version : Will the real MRS. Rose Breasted Grosbeak please stand up

Randy Stout
05-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Well, last week, I misidentified a female purple finch as a female rose breasted grosbeak. This time I am pretty sure I got it right! :)

This is another in my continuing backyard series. Good therapy to set in the blind for a few minutes when I can.
My main question to the crew is: is the side lighting effective here? The light was to my right, I am off the sun angle by about 45 degrees or so.

I think it will fly. It gives nice modeling to the bird, and I think adds to the sense of form. But I do appreciate any input on this or other comments as well!

D300 500mm f/4 f5.6 1/400 ISO 800 Aperture Priority -1.3 SB800 with beamer -1.0 Gitzo WII

Doug Brown
05-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Beautiful pose, exposure, and BG. I like the soft fuzz of the perch. Might have worked as a vertical. As presented it's a little tight up top. I might sharpen the head a bit more.

Axel Hildebrandt
05-07-2009, 08:24 PM
I like the pose, eye contact and BG. I might crop it as a vertical and would have preferred wider DOF to have the feet in focus, too. Just a personal preference. The two light reflections in the eye at '7 o'clock' could go. The sidelight works for me.

joel quenneville
05-07-2009, 09:26 PM
The sidelight works here because the whole face is lit as well as the breast. Good pose, head angle and sharpness. Like Axel, I would have preferred some more DOF here. IMO, this image would need some more head room. A vertical crop as suggested by Doug and Axel would also strengthen your image by getting rid of some of the dead space to the left. Although the bird needs some room to look into, the distance between the beak and the edge of the frame a little past the tail will be enough.

Randy Stout
05-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks everyone. I have incorporated some of the suggestions into a repost.

I appreciate your input.

Randy

Nicki Gwynn Jones
05-08-2009, 03:41 AM
Hi Randy,
I like your repost and agree that the side lighting works well here. I love the soft colours in the BG as well.
Best,
Nicki

Stu Bowie
05-08-2009, 04:09 AM
I like your repost Randy, with regards to the comp. Lovely pose, and like the detail captured on her, and stands out nicely against the OOF BG. Well captured.

joel quenneville
05-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Randy,

Good job on the repost, I think you have improved your composition by focusing the viewer's attention on the bird. I might try to crop some off the bottom, just above that first bud.

Arthur Morris
05-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Love the repost. The sidelight is effective because it is soft and because the bird's head is turned so that it is close to being square to the light.