PDA

View Full Version : Maligne Lake Sunset

Patrick Kriner
01-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Lake Maligne near Jasper in the Canadian Rockies. Taken this past September. Nion D2Xs, Nikkor 18-200mm @ 48mm, 1/4 sec @ f/16, ISO 100, Adobe Lightroom, CS3.

Maxis Gamez
01-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Hello Patric and welcome to BPN.

I really like the composition and reflection in this image. I do see a strong green cast over the photograph. The warm light and clouds really adds to the image.

Jason Hahn
01-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Welcome Patrick!

Beautiful area, looks like you had some great light at the time of this image. I like the vertical composition with the reflection, but it all seems a little cramped to me. If possible I think shooting the scene a little looser, allowing more room at top and bottom between the peak and the edge of the frame may have made for a stronger image. What looks like a really pretty sky is not given enough space to be a strong element in the image, while the dark area of trees with little detail to capture the eye occupies a great deal of the frame. I would love to see more from here, thanks for posting, hope to see more!

Jason

Gyorgy Szimuly
01-01-2008, 09:54 PM
I love this image very much. Fantastic reflection and colors.
Szimi

Robert Amoruso
01-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Patrick,

You can try using a levels adjustment to either (a) set a white point and black point for (b) gray point in a neutral area of the image to get rid of the color cast. A selection on the dark areas of trees and reflections and a curves adjustment might help as well but I kind of like the dark brooding look of the image.

I am OK with the crop but Jason's suggestion is a great alternate and a good reason try different perspectives and focal lengths when at the location.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work and welcome.

Paul Marcellini
01-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Beautiful scenery here Patrick. The light on the mountain is great. With so much dark in the middle of the image it does take away, I would actually like to see more sky and less reflection if you took that comp. Otherwise, bringing up the shadows as already pointed out will make it much stronger.

Paul