PDA

View Full Version : Barn Owl

Tony House
05-07-2009, 04:30 PM
One of my favourite birds to watch and photograph..... :)

Techs: 1/4000 @ F6.3 EC-1 ISO 200
1DMK11 N 600F4 1.4XTC Tripod @ Gimbal head.

Thanks for looking.

Axel Hildebrandt
05-07-2009, 04:35 PM
I like the pose, angle and BG. You handled the harsh light well. I'm not too familiar with the species, does the face plumage look grayish or should it be a bit whiter?

Don Lacy
05-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Wonderful pose and BG, well done,

Tony House
05-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Hi Axel, yes they are white although you can get some with darker faces. They have many disc of feathers layered on their faces which is all to do with their hearing, I think all the fine feathers cause slight shadows which can make it look slighty grayish.

Tony

Tony House
05-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Here's an image of the same Owl taken just after my oringinal posting, he landed very close by and gave me a nice stare down the lens, you can see the disc's on the edge of his face.

Tony

Fabs Forns
05-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Gorgeous bird, we had some for a while in the Everglades, not sure they are still there. Nice background. I'd lighten the face a bit, it seems the pose accentuated the grayish peach fuzz in the face.

Axel Hildebrandt
05-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Hi Axel, yes they are white although you can get some with darker faces. They have many disc of feathers layered on their faces which is all to do with their hearing, I think all the fine feathers cause slight shadows which can make it look slighty grayish.

Tony

Thanks for the explanation, Tony! Great to have such a cooperative model.

Randy Stout
05-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Tony:

Lovely bird. Great colors and presence. If you have a series of these, it might make a great portfolio.

Was this a wild bird? I grew up in Iowa, midwest, lots of farms, and we would seem them, but never this close or cooperative.

Please share anymore you have.

Randy

Ilija Dukovski
05-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Great job, great whites on the bird.
I like it a lot!

Stu Bowie
05-08-2009, 12:16 AM
Tony, which image do you you want me to comment on. LOL. With regards to your original image, I like the comp, and flying posture of the owl. He also stands out very well against the BG.

Your second image showing his colours, well, what incredible eye contact.

Dave Barnes
05-08-2009, 12:20 AM
Very nice capture Tony. I like the angle of flight, wing detail and colour. The greenish brown OOFBG works well.

Tony House
05-08-2009, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the kind comments everyone...

Hi Randy, yes this is a wild bird, I never work with captive birds although sometimes it would be easier to get the perched shots with captive ones. This bird was a very obliging, wish they were all like him...

Thanks.
Tony