PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand Dotterel - threatened species

Tony Whitehead
01-31-2008, 01:52 PM
The New Zealand Dotterel is threatened but making a recovery with efforts at habitat protection. This one was photographed at Ohope Beach, Bay of Plenty , New Zealand. Unfortunately there is a nearby Southern Black-backed Gull colony that prey on eggs and chicks but vehicle access has been restricted so the area is less disturbed and now a popular destination for birders. I had little control over the background of driftwood logs and sand and only had the chance to make 3 compositions before the bird moved. I wasn't too happy with the dark line at the top so chose to accentuate it and the dark foreground as a metaphor for the dark areas threatening the bird. Not sure if it works so would appreciate all comments and advice.
Nikon D300
200-400+1.4 @550
1/800s f5.6 matrix -2/3 iso 400

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-31-2008, 02:24 PM
Very nice capture with good exposure and lovely detail. I also like the pose and perch but IMO I think a vetical would work well here as the OOF to the right is a bit distracting to me as there is quite a bit of it on the right. Thanks for sharing Tony.

Ian McHenry
01-31-2008, 02:43 PM
Beautiful image Tony. Nice capture of the profile and great exposure.
When I first saw it I thought could be darkened just a little bit but not sure on this.
Cheers: Ian McHenry

Mike Wilson
01-31-2008, 04:27 PM
I like this one as is. I agree the dark line at the top is distracting but not enough to take away from the bird against the interesting colors. I would crop the bottom above the dark line.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-31-2008, 05:18 PM
Nice pose and eye contact. Adding to the other comments, I would tone down the whites a bit since they look borderline hot.

Mike Lentz
01-31-2008, 06:22 PM
Nice image! I was wondering if anybody knows if this or a like species exists in San Diego? I took a photo and it looks alot like this one.

Robert O'Toole
01-31-2008, 07:36 PM
Hi Tony thanks for sharing and the detailed info.

To improve the image I would crop out the back at the bottom then mask out the black line at the top to even out the BG tones. It wouldnt take much time but would help alot. Lastly I would darken the whites on the birds head and body also.

Thanks!
Robert