PDA

View Full Version : Green (Horned) Katydid - Costa Rica

Stephen Stephen
05-07-2009, 11:45 AM
I created this image at the La Tirimbina Reserve in Costa Rica while we visited there in March. We were out on a jungle night walk on the reserve. Our guide would only permit one of us to use camera flash to photograph things that we found. Because I had the only camera with a macro lens I was fortunately chosen to record our finds. :D

To take each photo I needed the help of my patient wife and perhaps another friend to illuminate the subject with their flashlights before creating an image.

We weren't allowed to leave the trail to get closer to our subject (too many poisonus things around) but this image is about 70% of full frame.

Canon 40D, Sigma 100mm f2.8 macro with Sigma Flash with "Peter Gregg style" better bounce card. Handheld. For some reason this copy of the file is missing the EXIF data so I'll have to add that later. I do know that camera was set to ISO 400.

I was really facinated with the head horn and the spines on the legs of this insect.

Kaushik Balakumar
05-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Wow, night walk in the jungle to see the creatures of the night - that must've been a wonderful experience !
Nice details on the insect. Might crop a bit off from the right of the frame.

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Preciosa!

It sounds like you are the kind of tourist I like to guide! (you follow rules!)

Very nice find and good thing you guys had a flashlight. Was your guide's name Alexander?

Very good to see your work.

Mike Moats
05-08-2009, 06:36 AM
Hey Stephen, good details and the lighting really pops on the critter. Like the BG.

Julie Kenward
05-08-2009, 07:20 AM
Really cool image, Stephan. I would also consider trimming some from the right of the frame to get the critter even more prominant in the image. I'd also think about cloning out the one partially lit leaf just below him as I find it a bit distracting.

You got wonderful details on the insect...I would hate to find this guy cozying up to me in my sleeping bag!

Stephen Stephen
05-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Thank you Kaushik, Juan Carlos, Mike and Julie. Juan Carlos I'm sorry that I can't recall his name but he was very knowledgeable.

Kaushik and Julie I do agree about the cropping and cloning suggestions.