PDA

View Full Version : Northern Shoveler (hen)

Mike Lentz
05-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Another hen duck species from this springs migration back through Minnesota. She was a busy mama skimming the waters surface. (next week we'll introduce the males) :)

http://www.pbase.com/mike_lentz/image/112130430.jpg

Nikon D300 ~ Nikkor 300mm F/2.8 ~ 2X TC
ISO 800 ~ F/6.3 ~ -1/3 EV ~ 1/640 sec

Axel Hildebrandt
05-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Great light, angle, details and smooth water. I might crop a bit off the top to remove the dark area.

Bob Shaw
05-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Another great shot Mike! I really like the colors in this series, and can't wait to see the drake shoveler. Bob

Randy Stout
05-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Mike:

Another beauty. A classic shoveler (aka spoonie :) ) pose. Mine are always swimming away unfortunately.

Colors are lovely. I appreciate Axel's comment on the top, but I am OK with it.

Can you tell us a bit about your setup/ blind etc. that you are using here. You must be pretty darn low, and well disguised.

Randy

Greg Basco
05-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Mike, love the low angle and the reflections in the water. It's a really pleasing image.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Scott Frye
05-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Background really complements the colors on this hen -- very pleasing to look at

Don Anderson
05-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Mike, very nice of course.. low angle is great. I also think a little off the top
would help. move the duck more into the top 1/3. Awesome as usual.

Fabs Forns
05-06-2009, 04:27 PM
You have been killing these birds in beautiful water, very well done!

Phil Ertel
05-06-2009, 04:29 PM
A very nice image! The background is complimentary with nice soft colors. The bird is sharp and with good exposure. The open beak dipping in the water is a plus. Well done and thanks for sharing.

denise ippolito
05-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Mike, It's stunning! I love the color of the water and the way her beak is skimming it. The reflection is a plus-very nicely done!

Dave Phillips
05-06-2009, 05:52 PM
some beautiful light here Mike....love the reflection obscured like it is

Ramon M. Casares
05-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Outstanding! Great pose, great light, lovely BG, detail and colors, good pose and comp although I would crop a very little bit from the top to remove the dark area above and also to de-center the horizon just a tad. Congratulations!

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-06-2009, 07:12 PM
This is simply beautiful!

Lovely bird, light and warm colors!

I agree with Axel about the dark area on top.

Mike Lentz
05-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Mike:

Another beauty. A classic shoveler (aka spoonie :) ) pose. Mine are always swimming away unfortunately.

Colors are lovely. I appreciate Axel's comment on the top, but I am OK with it.

Can you tell us a bit about your setup/ blind etc. that you are using here. You must be pretty darn low, and well disguised.

Randy

Hi Randy! Thanks for the kind words and I like that "spoonie" deal. ;) Hey thats what hunters call them.
I have a few methods to get low and not spook the birds (or atleast I try not to). I have a friend who has property on a lake and he has allowed me to cut a path through the cattails and setup at the waters edge (two areas like this for am and pm). Another option is sitting on shorelines in the weeds with my chest waders on and wait... then there is the boat option in which I am low in a 12 ft flat bottomed jon boat. It really just depends where I am photographing. :D Thanks for asking.

Thanks for all the fine feedback, I agree about the dark on top. :)

Chris Kotze
05-06-2009, 11:30 PM
Excellent angle,lovely sweet light and colours.

Randy Stout
05-07-2009, 06:06 AM
Mike:

Thanks for the info. You are really working your opportunity, with great results.

Do you get loons on the same lake? That would be nice.

Randy

Mike Lentz
05-07-2009, 06:56 AM
Mike:

Thanks for the info. You are really working your opportunity, with great results.

Do you get loons on the same lake? That would be nice.

Randy

No Loons on these waters, I head north to a few incredibly good lakes for that species. :)

Stu Bowie
05-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Amazing light and colours in this Mike. Love your the low angle, as if you were in the water. Congrats.