PDA

View Full Version : Thinktank Hydrophobia?

Jim Poor
01-31-2008, 12:03 PM
What do you think? One area I'm short in equipment wise is protective covers.

It is a bit pricey, but. . .

http://thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_HydroPhb.php

Alfred Forns
01-31-2008, 12:23 PM
Jim try this link http://www.stormjacket.com/ Have been using for a while and they are great Very compact and will do the job !!!

Jim Poor
01-31-2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks Al. Does the large work for up to 600mm?

I can't find a tape measure at the moment :(

Charles Glatzer
02-01-2008, 01:18 AM
Jim,

I took a Think Tank hydrophobia cover with me to the Falkland Is earlier this month. It is by far the best inclement weather product I have ever used. Get it, and you will never buy another!!!!!!!!!!

e mail me for further info and use.

Chas

Jim Poor
02-01-2008, 08:30 AM
Thanks Chas. Good to see you over here too.

David Kennedy
02-01-2008, 07:19 PM
After watching the videos for the Thinktank Hydrophobia, I have to wonder why they couldn't come up with two products with the same concept. This one is clearly made for photojournalists at sports events who have no choice but to stay out in the field when it pours. I'm using the Storm Jacket, and prefer that it doesn't require me to put my hands through sleeves to reach the camera (to say nothing of changing eyecups!!!). I love the way that Thinktank has made the cover something that stays on the front of the hood and can quickly pull down the length at any time. I just wish they had a less expensive version that was more a competitor with the Storm Jacket--and didn't have all the stuff to cover up the camera body at the back.

Charles Glatzer
02-02-2008, 12:22 AM
David,

We had 30-40 mph sustained winds, some rain, sleet and blowing sand at times in the Falkland Is. Your Storm Jacket would have flown the coup and your equipment sand blasted. I was one happy guy to have the full protection when necessary. FYI- when the weather is not to severe you could use the cover with the zippered back open and not use the hand sleeves.

Best,

Chas

David Kennedy
02-02-2008, 12:57 AM
Chas,
I'm not saying that there's no point to this product--there clearly is. But for lighter duty, I like their concept but think they should offer a stripped down version. It would certainly broaden their market. How can you argue against that?

Alfred Forns
02-02-2008, 01:09 AM
Have been looking at it since Chas made the recommendation No doubt it is the best out there I just think unless you are planing on getting into heavy rain the other might be a better choice

I keep the Storm jacket on my tripod all the time and don't even know is there The times I have used it my lens has kept dry It is not all that convenient for shooting With the other is just like if it wasn't raining !!!!!

Jim Poor
02-06-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm thinking it also might be really good for sand and dust in certain environments, yes, no?

Robert Amoruso
02-06-2008, 04:02 PM
It is for heavy duty use. The Storm Jacket is good for general duty.