PDA

View Full Version : Early Morning On the Oregon Coast

Dave Mills
05-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Shot this on Bandon Beach a few years back.
Nikon D200 24-120 lense F22 1/100 polarizer 0 comp tripod mounted

Randy Stout
05-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Dave:

Lovely colors, soft light, neat location.

This first thing that struck me was there is too much of the mass on the left side. I think it would balance a bit better if the large foreground rock was in the right lower corner.

I might also darken the water a bit, esp. on the right side. That swath is so bright that it leads me right out of the picture.

Just a few random thoughts here, but hope it gives you some pause to consider.

Randy

Randy Stout
05-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Dave:

I had a second, so took a pass at your image. I don't have the photoshop skills to move the rock in the foreground and make it look good, but I tweaked the bright water a bit, and brought up the large rock in the background to reflect the light a bit and add a little more impact to it, to counteract the large mass below.

A lovely image as originally posted, just an option to consider.

Randy

Dave Mills
05-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Hey Randy, I like what you did. It kicked it up a notch... I disagree on the rock placement since the eye goes left to right...I don't think it would balance...

Randy Stout
05-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Dave:

Its true in our culture we read left to right, which influences how we view images. But, we also end up at the bottom right corner, so it would act as a book end to the rock in the upper left.

Perhaps you will get some other feedback on this point.

Again, very nice image. Glad you liked the minor tweaking I did.

Cheers

Randy

Grady Weed
05-05-2009, 04:33 PM
I personally like the bottom rock where it is. To me the water line on the sand balances that out. The water is fine as is or muted some. The colors here make this one for me. Purple skies and a nice reflection with the leading lines in the skies keep me in the frame. A nice sunset, sunrise, is always pleasing and relaxing. Smooth water, like this here, adds to it. I also like the foreground rocks details. One thing however, in both frames, a small smudge in the upper right rock is noticeable. What is that?

Randy Stout
05-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Grady:

I thought that smudge was surf breaking on the rock? Perhaps Dave can elaborate.

Randy

Dave Mills
05-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Hi Grady...Randy is correct. It's surf breaking on the rock

Roman Kurywczak
05-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Hey Dave,
Do like Randy's tweaks to make the image pop a bit more but would leave the rock where it is. For me it is balanced nicely with the dry area on the right and the distant peaks. Nicely composed.

Paul Marcellini
05-07-2009, 06:14 AM
As Roman said nicely processed. I like the tones here a lot and the comp works for me. Also both large rocks seem to point right. The spray, even though I figured that's what it was kinda bothers me. I hate recommending cloning but I think it would benefit here. Well done Dave.