PDA

View Full Version : A Stern Reproach

David Roach
05-05-2009, 01:14 PM
As I layed about 4 meters from the burrow, this beauty ran to the top of the burrow mound and shot me this stern reproach. As I continued laying still, he/she promptly raised one foot and went to sleep. This image also created at Brian Piccolo Park yesterday morning.
1DMKIIN 400DO ISO 400 F8@1/400

Axel Hildebrandt
05-05-2009, 02:06 PM
I like the pose, light and details and would prefer a composition that is a bit wider and take the bird out of the center. I would remove the OOF grass touching the bird on the wing.

Doug Brown
05-05-2009, 02:17 PM
I kind of like the bird in the center of the frame because he's standing so straight; the compo just works for me. Agree with Axel about cloning out the OOF grass.

Kim Rollins
05-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Mowing the mentioned grass would be fine, or

Leave the image just as it is would be OK in my book too as the strong looking subject over rides any distraction from the OOF grass IMO.

I love this one personally. :D

Fabs Forns
05-05-2009, 04:44 PM
The way he's standing and the vertical frame make the compos work for me. Great colors and the guy does have character :)

Judd Patterson
05-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Did you get into any fire ants up there David? I seem to always get some killer fire ant bites when I go over to Cape Coral...perhaps I should try right here at home at Brian Piccolo! I love the stern look and sharpness here...probably would tone down the background a bit to lessen the background distraction.

David Roach
05-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Thanks to all for the comments/critiques! Yes Judd, the BG is dry grass and I already desatted yellows some and slightly burned that colorful BG. I think it helps to make Her/Him pop. Being born and raised in South Florida, I always look down before kneeling, lying down or even sometimes standing still. You don't notice those babies until they're all over you and begin to bite!!!! Yikes!!! This is a great place to image these beauties but has the disadvantage of the nest stakes and ropes. Usually have to go in tight. Since this beauty is standing and looking straight out of the frame, I like the centered composition as well. As always, thanks for the learnings!!

Daniel Cadieux
05-05-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm fine with the centered comp, as is most often the case with front facing subjects in vertical comps. I do agree with the removal of the grass touching the owl, and of toning down the BG even more (especially the electric lime green part). Great character captured on this guy/gal, it has a somewhat displeased look to it :-)

Stu Bowie
05-06-2009, 12:05 AM
I like the comp as is, and you have captured him/her in lovely light. The detail is there, and love the colour in the BG. Another vote to get rid of the grass.

David Hemmings
05-06-2009, 06:03 AM
I also like the comp as presented. No shadows in the eye, nice pose, great details and you can see the feet, great shot.

Mark Dumbleton
05-06-2009, 12:41 PM
I like the composition as is, but just wish for a bit more DOF to render the bird sharp all over.
Vote for removal of the grass here too. Super image! Love the intense stare!