PDA

View Full Version : Repost

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Hello to all!

Some months ago I uploaded an image of the same series of this one.
In that moment some folks suggested a few interesting advises, today, I try to achieve the result of their suggestions.

Canon 30D
Canon 35-350mm@130mm
f/5
ISO 800
1/250sec.
Tripod
AV
0 Exp. comp.
Pop up flash

(Black-and-yellow Silky-Flycatcher female)

Stu Bowie
05-05-2009, 01:03 PM
I didnt see yor original, but I like the comp, colours and detail in this. Great head turn too. I would maybe tone down the little piece of moss on the top of the perch on the right.

Axel Hildebrandt
05-05-2009, 01:09 PM
I like the soft light, perch, details, head turn and BG and agree regarding toning down the highlights on the perch.

Ilija Dukovski
05-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Very nice image,
Composition, detail, sharpness, good eye contact,
Well balanced bright yellow and dark head,
I like it.

Greg Basco
05-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Hola, Juan Carlos. This looks pretty good. I like the composition, and the fill-flash is just right. Those lichens on the trees in the Dota and surrounding areas (I assume this is from up there somewhere as the perch looks like a Jaul from that area) are always tough to keep from blowing out, so I think you did as well as can be expected. Sharpness looks good too. My biggest wish is for a greenish background but I know that you can't always have what you want with these birds.

Is this full-frame?

Saludos desde Zarcero,
Greg

Ramon M. Casares
05-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Love thre backside view, the detail and DOF are stunning! Great light, BG and comp, I'd only remove the flash catchlight. Congratulations!

Fabs Forns
05-05-2009, 04:45 PM
I don't remember seeing the other one, but this one looks terrific to me, JC, thanks for sharing it!

Nicki Gwynn Jones
05-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Hi Juan Carlos!
I love this one too - stunning bird beautifully rendered.
Best,
Nicki

Daniel Cadieux
05-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Pretty neat looking bird Juan! I agree in toning down the moss, especially the part above the perch. I would also tone down the brightest part of the perch at bottom. The yellows may be a bit strong and clipped on the side of the bird. I tried desaturating the yellow channel on that spot only by about 10 points and thought it looked great. Otherwise two thumbs up!!

Raul Quinones
05-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Juan,
Beautiful picture and subject, most been said. Congratulations, love it.

Saludos, Raul

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-05-2009, 11:32 PM
There I go again!

First of all thank you all for your kind words and suggestions.

1-Guys, I tried to tone down the perch, but I guess that now is too dark :(

2- Greg, you are right about this picture been taken up there at Cerro de la Muerte. I cropped around 20%. You are also right about the BG, I also enjoy having greener BG's. I could not get it this time.

3- Hey Ramon! good to see you around here! I did remove the catch light but the eye looked dead, that's why I guess this time I'll keep it.

4- Daniel, I tried to desat the yellow channel a little, what do you think now, that yellow they have in their breast is nice but easy to blow. You don't know how cumbersome it was to select that moss... but I gave it a try, by the way, I had to start from zero with this picture, I don't know why, but I still prefer the first post...

Pura Vida...
Pure Life...